Early Driving | Teen Ink

Early Driving

Early Driving

“You ready to drive today?”

Am I ready to drive? Of course I’m not. One doesn’t get comfortable with driving by doing it 6 times.

“No,” I responded.

“Well you have to,” said my mom. She opens the garage door, and steps out to get into our black Honda Odyssey. I grab my phone with its new black case that has a handy compartment to hold my drivers permit, go to the garage door, and close it. I then grab my lacrosse bag that's hanging on the wall and put it in the back of the minivan. 

I open the driver’s side door and sit down in the black seat and put my phone in the cup holder. “You may have to adjust the seat,” said my mom. I adjust the seat backward till it feels right. Then I adjust the inside mirror till I can see out the back. “Put it in reverse and go slowly so you don’t break the mirror. I push the reverse button and slowly crawl out of the garage. I swing the car out of the driveway, put it in drive, and go. 

With adrenaline pumping through my veins I drive for a couple of minutes. Eventually we get to Wilson Ave SW and it’s a red light. I get to the white line and then stop.

“Keep going,” said my mom. “You need to be able to see if there are cars coming if you want to turn.” I see a gap that will allow me to merge on safely. I don’t take it. Another one comes a minute later. I don’t take it. Eventually the light turns green and I make the right turn. In a couple of minutes we get to the high school. I pull into a parking spot.

“How was your first drive?” says my mom.

“Fine,” I replied.

“I’ll pick you up after practice,” she says. “Bye”

“Bye.” I grab my lacrosse bag and head onto the field.