My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

October 6, 2021
By crusher015 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
crusher015 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Lauren. The name as in Lauryn, Loren or Laurin. Lauren can be used for men and women. It means a plant. Like a fern. It is green and has a lot of leaves attached to one stick. And over time a little pink flower blooms. And when the flower blooms, it feels like a new meaning of freedom. 

A whole new life is being sprung upon this plant. When the flower opens and is in its full size it is such a beautiful flower to look at. And freedom is also a beautiful thing to have and to have the privilege of. Having the privilege of being free feels like the American colors. The colors of red, white and blue just burst out of the fully bloomed flower. Like it has been containing it’s excitement for a long time. 3 beautiful colors to help symbolize the feeling of being free. 

“Lauren” originally is derived from a Latin country. In English, my name means a free person. I believe that I am a strong and independent person when it comes to certain things. Like being able to make a decision on my own, being able to drive to places that I enjoy going and many other things that can also symbolize being free.

My name also has a French meaning. In French it means “Crowned in Laurel”. It shows a symbol of triumph and is worn as a chaplet around the head or as a garland around the neck. Like a pink floral necklace.  

The likelihood of you seeing someone with the name of “Lauren” is very common in America. But in other countries not so much. In Ireland it used to be used a lot, it was a very common name. 

I inherited my name because my older cousin’s name was going to be Lauren if he came out as a girl. But he came out as a boy and was named differently. My mother claimed that the name Lauren was her favorite name since she was a teenager. Although they are sister in-laws, I find it funny that my aunt and mom had the same name in their mind. 

If I had a chance to change my name to a different one, I would change it to Skylar. The name is really pretty. It has more potential than my own name. And when I picture someone named Skylar I imagine the person to be tall, with blonde hair and blue eyes. With freckles on her face. I imagine people with the name Lauren to be short, with brown hair and brown eyes with glasses. Which doesn’t match my description. But Lauren will do. 


 


The author's comments:

This piece helps me describe how I see my name and its full potential. The piece helps me understand who I am as a person as well as to why I was named the way I was.