One foot out of my comfort zone | Teen Ink

One foot out of my comfort zone

My life was at its highest and nothing could bring me down. I was comfortable in student government for 2 years. I was comfortable always having friends and being somewhat popular.  I was comfortable being a 4.0 honor roll student. My life was comfortable. Truthfully, what felt like it could've been my peak, turned out to be one of the biggest turning points for me in my teenage years. 

What made me feel like I was at my highest was my confidence and ego. I was in student government, one of the most popular groups. Everyone knew who I was from assemblies, high school sport events, or even simply just by wearing my student government jacket. Frankly, I refused to join any other group than student government. It was either student government or nothing at all. The thought of joining any other club/group in high school striked zero interest in me; I wanted no part in changing that aspect of my life.

I was more than sure that I would stay in student government for the rest of my high school experience. My ego convinced me that since I knew enough people, that when the time came around for elections I had nothing to worry about. I was so comfortable winning every election I participated in. But oh boy, was I wrong. 

Come spring, it was time for elections. For someone that has won 2 years in a row, the anxiety of running didn’t phase me as much as my other candidates. I created 7 unique posters that had photos of me and creative words that were able to catch the eye of anyone walking by. I made it past primaries and made it to finals. For finals I stepped up my game, I made a huge banner with my name on it and a Copper Hills grizzly phrase,  and it hung right over a busy hallway. It was so visible that no one could miss it.  I even performed the most embarrassing skit for the entire sophomore class. I was willing to do whatever it took to win. I tried to have this mindset that I would win if I was able to fake it till I made it. So I did exactly that. Although I followed that mindset, there was always this small thought in the back of my mind telling me that there is a possibility that I won't make it. But me being me, I ignored it. 

It was time for the results, and the silence in the room was so loud. I knew that in this exact moment, it could potentially change who I am (or so it felt like). I was afraid, but not afraid enough to show it. The beats of my heart were resonating in my ears, and the shaking of my body made it hard to stay still. The room was filled with people who were going to be the future student government group, and nothing was certain. The anticipation killed me as each position name was called.  As the name of the new junior class president's name was announced everything in me went silent. I knew that I fell short. The happiness and claps went over my head and I was hit with the reality of losing. I realized that I won't have student government in my life anymore. I started to fear my future and what the next upcoming school year would be for me. I didn't know where I would fit in or where I would belong. 

After school that day, I felt bad. Very. Very. Bad.  The drive home was miserable. My confidence had been beat down. I knew what I was feeling was valid at the moment. I wanted to stay down but I told myself that if I had that mindset going into the new school year, there would be no way I could run again for student government. 

I knew something had to change. I needed a new game plan. That change started with doing what I dreaded most, I decided to look into potential clubs and groups that I could join. The process wasn’t easy, luckily for me my parents were fully supportive and i also had a great group of friends that were willing to sign up with me.  

Soon enough, I didn't dread the thought of other ways to be involved. I decided to go to the club sign up week at school. And I procrastinated each day as the week went on. But finally I got the courage to take a look at all the different tables and what  clubs they had to offer. And with a change of heart and mind, I slowly started to sign up for one club, which eventually turned into 2 clubs, and resulted in me signing up for 6 clubs. It started to become easier, as there were so many clubs to choose from. 

The action of me taking the opportunity to join clubs didn't disinterest me, but instead made me realize that I was interested in other groups that I didn't realize I'd like. 

Fast forward a few months, I will always have a special place in my life for student government and I don't expect to give up that desire to run any time soon. And there are some days I miss the way my old life used to be, but losing elections ended up opening my eyes to opportunities that were and will always be available to me in high school. It took me a while to accept my failure because I liked the way my life was,  but this new life is starting to grow on me. All it took was one foot out of something we call a comfort zone. 

im a 16 year old figuring life out.