My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

October 12, 2022
By 4crowley BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4crowley BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name is of Latin origin meaning great, magnificent, or majestic. But I do not feel as though this fits me. That sounds more like someone from history, like a great Greek god or ruler. 


The first ruler of Rome was Augustus, from whom Austin was derived. But that's all it is the cheap knockoff of the great first ruler of Rome. Am I anything like Augustus? 


I haven’t found many people with that I share my name. it feels uncommon and yet I see it everywhere. This brand of animal crackers I always liked was the Austin zoo animal Cracker. The capital of Texas is Austin Texas. 


I would like to live in Texas maybe one day. The weather seems nice and calm. Austin, Tx always looks like a nice city to live in. Even a smaller city in Minnesota shares my name. I must drive through it every time to get to my grandparent's farm. 


But to most, my name just reminds them of August the month as they sound too alike. August is a good month. However, there's nothing too special. about no big holidays. It's even the end of summer and school has to start. August does have good weather and it has 31 days. But no one waits for it unless you are ready for football and fall is right around the corner. 


The author's comments:

This is a story of me and my name.