Emmie. An innocent soul. | Teen Ink

Emmie. An innocent soul.

February 19, 2010
By Emiline SILVER, Nashville, Tennessee
Emiline SILVER, Nashville, Tennessee
9 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When deep injury is done to us, we will never recover until we forgive. Forgiveness cannot change the past. But it does enlarge the future."- Mary Karen Read


I was at school, I had arrived early. I talked to my friends, and then the unthinkable happened. My best friend was in a car accident. And her sister was dead. Instantly, questions, thoughts, tears and feelings flooded me. Emmie, little Emmie, was gone. I wanted to break down crying. But instead, I instantly feared the worst. "And Lara? What about Mia and Danny?? Are they okay? How'd it happen?" And the answers were more elusive than I thought possible. We knew nothing. Except that Emmie was gone. Instantly, I began praying. "Yitgadal, v'yitkadash sh'mei raba...." May her soul be guarded and kept safe from those who wish it harm, I thought. Why? Why her? Why now? Why Emmie??? Why not someone else, someone older? Why not someone...... someone like me? I mean, she was eight. I'm 12. It might not seem that much of a difference to you, but it means the world to me. I would give my life for hers in an instant. If I could.
But I can't. And now she's gone. Forever.


The author's comments:
My friend's little sister, Emmie, died in a car crash on Wednesday, February 17, 2010. At the current time, cause of death is unknown. The rest of the family is fine, but grieving. Please pray for her or just keep her story in your thoughts. Thank you.