Forgiveness | Teen Ink

Forgiveness

April 15, 2010
By Ninten1992 PLATINUM, New York, New York
Ninten1992 PLATINUM, New York, New York
27 articles 0 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Forgive and Forget".


That summer I went to see my grandfather. We were very close to but it had been three years since we saw each other. I was anxious to see him. When I saw him, I ran up to him. He was standing tall like a crane. He smiled and opened his arms like lotus blooming. His eyes were like peonies. His shirt was green like the Postal Administration Uniforms. He opened the door to his apartment like opening the cover of a book. As I entered, I saw his calligraphy. I couldn’t read any of it, but I was fascinated. As I looked at the scrolls, the words were crawling down the paper like black spiders.

My grandfather said: “When I was young, my father died when taking care of my grandmother. My relatives took everything away from my mother and me. When my mother and I came to Taiwan, those relatives asked me for help to make a new life here in Taiwan.”

I asked: “Did you help them?”

He replied: “Yes, I forgave them and helped them.”

I was astonished. Then I asked: “Why? They didn’t help you when you needed their help the most!”

My grandfather replied almost at once. He said:” Always forgive and help regardless of what others have done to you.”


The author's comments:
What inspired me to write this piece was being with my grandfather.