Gandhi's Face | Teen Ink

Gandhi's Face MAG

By olive94 GOLD, Hanover, Maryland
olive94 GOLD, Hanover, Maryland

I never knew Gandhi had such a lovely face. I was looking for the word “gallant” in the dictionary. I guess I must have skipped a few pages past it. Then I saw his name. “Gandhi, Mohandas Karamchand. Known as Mahatma. 1869-1948. Indian leader who developed the practice of nonviolent disobedience that gained independence for India.”

On the other side of the page, past a row of words, ­etymologies, and definitions, was a picture of him – goofy-looking, bald, bespectacled. He looked so happy, I even smiled. I guess I turned the page, because right after I blinked the blurriness from my eyes, there was a big mascara teardrop on the word “gallant.”

Why I cried, I'm still not sure. Maybe I'm jealous of the pure happiness radiating from his face. Maybe I want someone like him in my life. Or maybe I recognize that smile as my own, one I used to have when I was truly happy, not surrounded by endless barricades of snow, not angry and adamant against my parents. I may have recognized it so much that when I saw him, I cried, like someone who sees a friend after years of thinking they are gone forever. Maybe that's it. Maybe.

Vidra PLATINUM said...
Vidra PLATINUM, Midlothian, Virginia

“I write only because
There is a voice within me
That will not be still.”
-Sylvia Plath

This piece is truely beautiful.

Alex_Durham GOLD, Vineland, New Jersey

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I LIKE IT ALSO. JUST TO SEE WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT IM GOIBG TO LOOK HIM UP AS WELL!

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I received a lot of joy from reading this piece. Despite its simple style, it is exceptionally beautiful. I admire Gandhi and his teachings so much, I begin to understand why there is joy in his face. I thank you dearly for writing this.