I Hide In My Imagination | Teen Ink

I Hide In My Imagination

By bilbo95 BRONZE, Paso Robles, California
bilbo95 BRONZE, Paso Robles, California

We’ve all daydreamed before and some people daydream more often than others. Most times when I address to my sister, she wouldn’t even listen and stare into other things, most likely dreaming. My mom used to tease her about it before she flew to New York for college and usually, my mom wouldn’t tease me about imagining things 24/7. But I do and I’m just not as obvious as my sister.

The thing is, envisioning something fictional is my diversion and I get my ideas from daydreaming. That’s basically the reason why I began writing fan fictions. After I read a book I love, I soon wonder, What if I were in it? And so, I create my own sequel and that’s where the fun begins.

Sometimes if I couldn’t sleep, I imagine scenes again, whether it’s about Harry Potter or one of my unfinished original stories. I could create a whole new world about dragons, magic, immortals, angels, etc. But writing my original plot is not as easy for me as continuing something that didn’t even originate from my thoughts.

I have about six original stories that are unfinished and almost all of them didn’t even get pass the second chapter. Fan fictions are much less difficult to write because the fictional world is already made and all you have to do is create a new plot, so thanks to whoever made fan fictions legal…

I don’t plan on becoming an author. My goal is not to become a best-selling author, though it would be nice to even be considered that. I am a daydreamer and I have a pretty wild imagination. Most of my days, I stay home and turn on my computer, doing the same things every day; listening, reading, chatting, writing…. Yes, it seems like I have no social life, but I do have friends. I just use my imagination more frequently than others.

People say I’m artistic and creative and at times, I believe that myself, but I know that if more people use their creativity and imagination, they would compliment themselves also. It’s not that difficult to let your thoughts loose. I mean, don’t all the best authors envision the events in their stories before and while they write them? I’m supposing they do because that’s how I started writing -- by dreaming.

soccerbookworm12 BRONZE, Peachtree City, Georgia
I feel the same way. I love to day dream; it's how I get ideas for my books. I have random thoughts of situations that I would never be in myself, but I place myself there anyway to get a start. I then write with a different character based off the things I would never do myself. :)

StormyxD SILVER, Winter Park, Florida

"Late at night my mind would come alive with voices and stories and friends as dear to me as any in the real world. I gave myself up to it, longing for transformation." - Jo March, Little Women

I started the same way. Day dreaming. (: it all began with Harry Potter. I was totally distraught when the series was over and hadn't had enough of the characters. I decided I would write a story about the next generation for my own amusement. Then discovered there was a whole world within the fandom which was where I disovered fan fiction. I've moved on to writing my own original stories but I have trouble commiting to one and tend to bounce from one to the other. Similar to you I use my imagination more frequently than others. Sometimes characters feel as real and dear to me as any friend, to quote Jo March. I totally get where you're coming from. I have friends but a lot of the time I'd rather just be at home having my own adventures on the computer. (: ahah. that sounds super lame, but whatever. I think it's good to have that kind of outlet. It's a way to learn more about yourself and experience things you might not get to otherwise. Any way, I'm glad you wrote this. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with my head in the clouds. (:(: