Waking Up Scared (Bombs are falling) | Teen Ink

Waking Up Scared (Bombs are falling)

By AbysmallyAbstracted PLATINUM, Mountains, Colorado
AbysmallyAbstracted PLATINUM, Mountains, Colorado

2000 B.C. - "Here, eat this root."
1000 B.C. - "That root is heathen, say this prayer."
1850 A.D. - "That prayer is superstition, drink this potion."
1940 A.D. - "That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill."
1985 A.D. - "That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic."
2000 A.D. - "That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root."
~Author Unknown

Her thin frame shook as she coughed violently, causing her deep brown eyes to flutter open. Her skin was feverish and dripping with sweat. Nightmares plagued her dreams. It was the fourth time that night that she'd woken up her heart pounding and her fever raging. The small child reached her hand up toward her window and pulled the curtain back slightly. She gasped in horror at what she saw. She pushed the covers from her body and stuck her bare leg out onto the cold, hardwood floor. She sat up slowly, trying not to throw up. She gazed over at her three younger sisters all crowding on their old, large mattress. The small girls slept peacefully, draped across each other with thin blankets placed gently over them.

The little girl staggered to her shaky legs as she dragged the drapes away from the window. She wanted to make sure that it was still happening before she went and woke her momma up. The girl's eyes widened with fear as she stumbled backwards. Tears leaked from her large, chocolate brown eyes. She scrambled to her unsteady feet and slowly made her way through her dark bedroom and into the pitch black hallway. She placed her bare hand on the cold drywall and felt her way toward her parents' bedroom.

“Momma!” she whispered, standing in the huge doorway. She trembled as she looked behind herself fearfully. Tiredly, she stepped forward. She wandered to the right where Momma always slept. “Mommy!” the child's voice cracked as she whimpered.

“What do you need Sweetheart?” Momma asked sitting up, her voice was thick with sleep. The girl shivered again. Momma's arm reached out from under her blanket and wrapped protectively around her daughter's waist, pulling her close. Momma smiled into the darkness and brushed loose strands of light brown hair away from the little girl's eyes. The girl buried her face in her mother's long t-shirt. “What's the matter Annabelle?”Momma asked gently.

“They're bombing us Momma, we're all gonna die!” Annabelle whispered hysterically. Momma stared at her daughter wondering what to make of the unexpected answer. Sensing her mother's confusion, Annabelle grabbed Momma's hand and pulled her from her warm bed. “I'll show you!” Annabelle insisted. She dragged her mother through the kitchen and into the front room, she pointed to the window refusing to step a foot closer.

“What are you pointing at?” Momma asked curiously. The small, eight year old's finger trembled.

“Bombs are falling,” she answered quietly as she wiped away the last of her tears. Her stomach was hurting and she was beginning to feel quite ill again. Momma glanced once at Annabelle's serious face and then at the window. She took seven large steps and pulled the curtains apart. She was about ready to tell her daughter that she was just dreaming and to go back to bed, but when she gazed out into the cold November night, a gasp escaped her sealed lips. Her face broke into an awed smile.

“Annie, come here Honey,” she breathed. Annabelle took a timid step forward before stopping; her entire body trembled. “Don't worry Annie, it's okay.” She giggled lightly. Curiously, Annabelle hurried to her mother's side and looked out of the window. Small, glowing white balls danced across the sky. Annabelle stared out into the chilly night. She shivered again as she glanced over at her mother.

“What is it Momma?” Annabelle asked hugging Momma's legs.

“It's called a meteor shower. I've always wanted to see one. Thank you so much Annie, it's beautiful!” Momma whispered lifting her daughter onto her hip as they watched the last of the meteors shower the sky with brilliant light.

THE END

This piece is just a memory from my childhood, it happened right after 9/11 occurred.