Moonlight Nights | Teen Ink

Moonlight Nights

By Ducatiluvr848 SILVER, Arlington, Virginia
Ducatiluvr848 SILVER, Arlington, Virginia

\\\"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Sometimes, when I’m alone, I climb out onto my roof at night and stare at the moon. The moon gives me a sense of security. When I look at it, I know there are millions of people around the world staring at the exact same moon.

I always wonder if you’re one of those people.

I look up and wonder if maybe you’re staring out your bedroom window, thinking about me too. I know it’s next to impossible that you are, but I can’t help but think it anyways. I let out a sigh, knowing you’ll probably never know how I feel.

That’s when I think about her.

I think that she’s not good enough to be with you.

But she is. My inner voice whispers.
She doesn’t understand you like I do!

But he still picks her. My inner voice is quieted by the growing anger of my thoughts.
She’s nothing like you!! My thoughts roar in my head as I breathe heavier.

But he likes HER.

And with that, my mind goes completely blank as I stare at the moon again; this time letting a single tear roll down my cheek.

It is now that I get a text, and before looking at my phone, I know it is you.

Yeah. You start. She’s great. I mean, I really, really, really like her.

The tears continue to stream as a misplaced smile creeps up to my face, somehow managing happiness through my hurt in knowing you are happy. More tears roll as I pull my knees close into my chest. This was a familiar, comforting gesture I had learned to do, as I was learning I would usually be alone when most needing people.

That’s great. I slowly respond. You deserve someone like that.

Reluctantly clicking send, I stare up at the moon for one last moment. This time, I know you’re not one of the million people staring at the moon, and that you are most definitely not thinking about me. I hear my dad call downstairs, and I almost simultaneously yell “Coming.”

I wipe the smeared make up and wet tears off my cheek before climbing back through my window. Turning my back on the moon, you, and the unscrupulous dreams I had about us.

eitak9 said...
Great article. When I am sitting outside at night, I always wonder who else is looking at the same moon. And sometimes I hope that a certain person is looking at it and thinking the same thing as I am.

smile(: said...
there are plenty of fish in the sea. (:

jhellkamp said...
i really like your story and i think it's something every person can relate to. 

JMullins95 said...
this is a very realistic story, i loved how relatable it is

jdslos said...
I really liked this story and I can relate to it. I always have this feeling and i can feel the connection to this story! NICE WORK!