Once and for All | Teen Ink

Once and for All

April 28, 2012
By TheNerdGirl PLATINUM, Glen Ellyn, Illinois
TheNerdGirl PLATINUM, Glen Ellyn, Illinois
26 articles 28 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
Shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll still end up among the star's


I never understood bullying until it happened to me. How with one stupid rumor can change your entire life. I guess it made me stronger but what about all those people that just couldn’t handle it. But I guess I should tell you my story first.

There isn’t a certain day that it began. I don’t think there ever is. Just one random day he said the first fat joke. At first I shrugged it off. It’s not like I’ve never heard it before. I had always been a touch fat but nothing excessive. So when I didn’t respond you came back the next day. But this time he brought his friends. I still took it lightly. My mother had always told me that i was better than any bully out there. So i tried to believe her.
Yet they still continued. One day maybe 2 months later it had escalated so much that they had brought me to tears more than a few times. At least i never had cried in front of them. I always made it to the nearest bathroom. But this time i was done. I went and told a teacher. But they didnt do anything. Why didn’t they do anything? I will never know. Then i told my mom. Thank god for my loving mother. Because she stormed right into the principal’s office and raised hell till they did something. She’s awesome like that.
But it wasn’t until I was happy. Truly happy till it was destroyed. I had friends that i thought were true. No one had made a fat joke in months. I thought their stupid game was over. Then my best friend -ya my best friend- played one of those would you rather games (you know those games that are played to bash someone). She asked when I wasn’t even playing would you rather have sex with Alex or ****** (because she is a nice girl I don’t want here to ever hear what they said). You know what his response was. Neither just shoot me instead. And just like that i was back at the bottom. Betrayed by my best friend. It’s sick. But its completely true.
Now why you ask do i tell you my story. Because I never want this to happen again. When you say something stupid it hurts people even if you dont mean it. Even if you say sorry. You can never take it back. Never. So please take my story to heart. And if you ever find yourself bashing someone just stop. Do it for me and for all the other millions of kids that go through bullying every day. If we band together we can end bullying once and for all.


The author's comments:
this was a small thing that happened but it made a big impact on my life