Remnant | Teen Ink

Remnant MAG

By tiffanyl SILVER, Carrollton, Texas
tiffanyl SILVER, Carrollton, Texas

You were a stuffed rabbit with gangly limbs and a black nose smooth as silk. You were a gift, an Easter present from eons past, from a life much, much simpler, I believe. You had a twin I preferred – bright green and yellow to your gloomy purples. You were what I ended up with, second best, much to my chagrin, but I promised to love you forever anyway. You might have had a name once – many names. I'd crown you only to forget and strip you of your titles, bestow upon you new ones and forget again, over and over, ad nauseam, until one day I forgot to name you at all, then the next, and the next, and suddenly you were an undignified peasant in a wasteland of smooth linen sheets and cotton-stuffed pillows.

You weren't the first of your kind, nor the last, but from among the rubble and the piled bodies waiting to be discarded, I remembered you had a twin, and I reached out and reclaimed you unto the end, this so-called promise of forever. And now – now you sit at the foot of my bed, stuffed into a corner, forgotten, until I blindly, on rare nights, grope around to find you.

You are old and gray and full of sleep, a bag of rags I offer half a thought to when I see your once-silk-smooth nose, now frayed and tattered threads. You had a twin once, given to someone I once thought the world of and now don't think of at all. You are like her, a relic of the past, the manifestation of my inability to lay it to rest, my stuttering attempts to hold on and let go all at once.

ramfthomas4 PLATINUM, South Bend, Indiana

“If the present world go astray, the cause is in you, in you it is to be sought.”
― Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy

awww... i'm one of those sentimental creatures who hangs on to their stuffed animals forever.  Loved your descriptive language. 

Mario94 GOLD said...
Mario94 GOLD, Secaucus, New Jersey

"I Rather draw than paint, But I rather express than nothing at all"- Mario,“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!”
― Sylvester Stallone, Rocky Balboa

I Honestly loved reading this. This poem has a whole allowed me to think of my past, so alike. I felt that same moment of lonliness.