Danger Rain | Teen Ink

Danger Rain

I look outside the big tent into the never ending field. Mist sprays me from all sides, lightly touching my skin. The crisp fresh air stings my lungs. Thunder rumbles and claps over my head. Off in the distance a streak of blue lightning hit’s the sky. With a flash, then it’s gone. Rain is hitting the top of the tent, pounding hard on it. We cower in fright, and huddle together in the center of the tent. The rock’s cution me, my feet resting on them, I am soaked through completely. A sudden impulse shockwaves through my body. Dirt is smeared all over me, cuts and scars line my face, hands, legs and feet. Soaked to the bone, and shivering. I stare. Then i’m off... away from everyone else...running. My hair flying behind me, my leg’s pounding on the muddy grass below me. Rain whips at my face blinding me, stinging my cheeks so they are numb with cold. I run and run until I can barely breathe anymore, and then I run faster. Breathing harder, and pushing myself farther and farther into the meadow. I reach the center, practically flying. Only then, do I slow down. The blue lightning surrounds me now as the rain hits my arms, pelting me with tiny piercing rain drops as my arms stretch out wide. I begin to spin in circles letting the rain come down on me. The world spinning faster and faster. My lungs feel like they are going to burst out of my body, as I drop to the muddy, squishy, grass below me. I look up, into the rain. The treetops look as if they are moving around me in circles. My eyelids shut and I feel as if the whole earth is moving, like I am a part of the ground, a part of something so much bigger. I feel free, like the rain has lifted something horrible out of me. Some kind of weight resting on my shoulders for far too long. I feel free, free to be who I really am and experience the world in a whole new way. My eyelids suddenly fly open and I sit up with a jerk. I see my fellow campmates staring at me from underneath the tent. Huddling together to try to stay dry. That’s the difference between me and them. They left city kids, not knowing what they were getting themselves into. So did I. But the only difference is that They came back city kids, I came back, a whole new person. I wave to them, a big smile on my face, as I let out a laugh, a laugh so genuinely me even my best friend that i’ve known since kindergarten, Natalia looks up. I know in that moment that I will never ever laugh like that again, I released some type of negative energy in that moment that made it feel as if the whole world was under this spell and I had broken it, defied it, and noticed who I truly was. Even if the clouds were gray, to me they were blue just in a different kind of light. I just stood there in the middle of the muddy, squishy, gross, field, and enjoyed it. I let the rain drops slide down my hands and back, and off the tips of my fingers. I lifted my hands up above my head and cartwheeled back to them. Dizzied, I strutted into a silent tent. My friend Stefano was looking at me like I was nutty. I looked him square in the eye and said, “you probably think i’m crazy... well... you're absolutely right”

this is all completely true, from this camp I went to over the summer. I really like this Piece because it really shows who I am, and how I felt. I think your going to fall in love with it, just as I did.