The Flute | Teen Ink

The Flute

During 4th grade, all of us students were given the opportunity to learn an instrument and join the band or orchestra. Originally I had wished to play the violin but ended up learning the flute due to my friend’s wishes. Sometimes I still think that maybe I would’ve liked the violin better than the flute, but, even now, I still persist on with my flute.

It was a pretty sunny day when I first picked up the flute. The 4th grade was all generally placed in the portables and in a portable I blew into the flute for the first time. In small groups, we left class to go apply for an instrument. The portable was a bit warm and my palms were sweaty as I waited for my turn. I was shaking a little, thinking until the last moment whether to choose the flute or violin. The room was pretty quiet except for the trumpet, clarinet, flute, and other instrument sounds that were played on cue. When it got to my turn, I quietly stood up and went over. I told the teacher I wanted to play the flute and she gave me the gleaming flute to me. The teacher said in a monotone voice to try and make a sound. I followed her instructions on how to hold it, and blew into the mouth piece. It was a shaky sound, a bit airy, but still amazing to me at that time. It got me thrilled and made me want to play it even more. The teacher didn’t show much of a care and just needed to see if I was “fit” for this instrument. The moment was short, almost fleeting, and I was immediately placed into the flute section. After all this was completed, I quickly left the room, excited. A bit unsure if I would do well but excited nevertheless. I walked back to my class in a portable and my school day continued on.

At my first flute section class at school, I learned how to blow correctly, finger the notes, and play the scales. My fingers felt strained, and I also got dizzy often due to the fact I had to blow excessively. I was not used to either of these things in the beginning. Over time, I kept practicing at home and gradually improved. After the school year ended, I was a decent beginner flute player and I was content with that. My sound became much more solid and less airy, and the band teacher often complimented it. I then got an opportunity to get flute lessons from my mom’s friend. My private lessons took place in the basement of my mom’s friend’s house. The lighting there was soft, but still well lit, and my palms grew sweaty as well at that first lesson. I was, indeed, quite nervous. However, I would always time to time notice a nice sweet smell that wafted around the house, coming from the upstairs kitchen. I later learned that the flute teacher’s daughters were always baking little pastries. At the end of the first lesson, I could hear my stomach grumbling. After a couple of lessons, my fingers no longer grew tired as I got used to moving them fast, and dizziness only occurred occasionally. I also began to practice the flute longer, reviewing basics, techniques, and rhythm. Later, I got another opportunity to change my flute teacher to another flute teacher who was a professional flutist. My new flute teacher helped my sound become resonate and even less airy. When I was able to make my sound become more resonate, I could hear it go through my ears and felt as if it went through my whole body. It was an experience I was amazed at during that moment and even now, am still amazed at.

In 6th grade, entering middle school, I improved with my flute skills even more and got more opportunities to play the flute in places other than school. I participated in the solo festivals where I played in front of a judge and in Honors band where 6th graders came from all over the county. All these new experiences overwhelmed me and I often got disappointed over my failures. Even though sometimes I wouldn’t do well, I persisted and improved. I really cherished my flute.

At this point in time, I do not know what to think about my flute anymore. My flute that was once a precious object to me, a part of me, what is it now? I can say that my flute is still a part of me, and even though I do not know where I am going with it, I continue along with it. I continue to persist.

I wrote this piece as a school assignment. Initially, well I guess I still, did not really want to write this but wrote it anyways. Even though I did not want to write this, in the end, I guess I like this piece the best out of all the stuff I have written.