Seventeen Years and Nine Surgeries Later... | Teen Ink

Seventeen Years and Nine Surgeries Later...

November 16, 2013
By A_Jean PLATINUM, Citrus Heights, California
A_Jean PLATINUM, Citrus Heights, California
40 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"we all carry these things inside that no one else can see. they hold us down like anchors and they drown us out at sea."
"i'm trying to figure out which parts of my personality are mine and which ones I created to please you"


I'm not perfect, physically or otherwise, but that hasn't stopped me from trying my hardest to get as close as I can. My whole life I've felt slightly inferior to my peers, and I've tried my hardest to lessen this gap that only I can see. But as I've grown and matured, I've come to see that I'm no different than anyone because everyone has imperfections.

Each year 1 in every 600 newborn babies is born with an oral cleft defect. Unfortunately, I got the short end of the stick and, seventeen years ago, I was that statistic. When I was born I had a cleft lip and palate, meaning the tissue of my lip and palate (the roof of my mouth) did not join completely before birth.

Growing up I was the only kid in my class with a visible birth defect and I felt both isolated and unique. I was different from everyone else, and no one really understood the stress of undergoing multiple surgeries or of knowing I only looked the way I looked because of the surgeries. Plastic surgery, even non-cosmetic surgery, had a negative connotation when I was growing up, and I guess you could say I was a little ashamed that it had been such an important contributor to my appearance. The only other person I knew with my same defect was my Uncle John, and whenever it got hard for me he'd tell me about what it was like for him growing up. It was comforting to know that I wasn't alone.

To many people it seems both traumatic and horrible that I've had nine surgeries to fix one defect, but to me, it's just the life I was given, and I like to think that I've made the best of it. I'm so thankful that I live in a place where medical care is available to me and where research produces new solutions all the time.

I choose not to constantly dwell on the fact that I had a birth defect. Sure kids are cruel and I had to endure some harsh words in elementary school, but I've got a thicker skin because of it. It's still hard to look in the mirror, look at my reflection, and see the scars and operations like neon signs, but I'm growing to see myself differently every day. I used to believe that I was identified as the girl with the birth defect. But now I know people recognize me by the skills and talents I possess: I'm the girl who plays the piano, the girl who loves to read, the life-long Girl Scout and the soccer player.

So here I am, seventeen years and nine surgeries later, proud of my accomplishments. I would not change who I am for anything, nor would I change the road I have travelled to get to this point. I am now looking forward to the next experience life has in store for me and I know from the journey that brought me here that no matter what, I will take on life's challenges and joys and emerge stronger, wiser and happier.