Little Things | Teen Ink

Little Things

By BlueSiamese213 BRONZE, Belleview, Florida
BlueSiamese213 BRONZE, Belleview, Florida

I press on toward the goal to win the prize in which Christ has called me heavenward.
Philippians 3:14

The crisp spring air fluttered across my neck like butterflies dancing in the sky. The sun

arose from the horizon and now patiently awaited its return to slumber at dusk. The rays cast down and warmed my cheeks. Heat bugs hummed in the distance as I sat at the peak of a large hill in my neighborhood. I sat waiting for my twin sister, Emily and my aunt to trek uphill. Emily and I loved riding our bikes, but she despised “The Great Challenge” of a hill. This always made me smile and playfully tease her.

Once they reached me, I clicked my helmet into place and grabbed hold of my handlebars. The fragments of broken gravel and rocks crunched beneath my tires. On the count of three and we were off with the wind roaring in our ears. Seconds later, Emily’s and my bike tires accidently touched. She went safely spinning off into the grass but I on the other hand was not as fortunate. The cement came racing toward me at full speed. I blacked out for a second and got up with the taste of blood in my mouth. My head was hurting a great deal and I felt as if I was a cell phone locked on vibrate.

My aunt called my mom and she came running from our house located at the top of the hill. I remember being so unsure of myself and hearing the unmistakable fear in my family’s voices. They were more scared than I myself were. Then with her nursing background and instincts, my mom called 911 for fear of serious brain damage or concussion.

Two days later after intensive monitoring I left the hospital with bruises, scrapes and the confirmation that I had received a severe concussion. Looking back I wonder what would have happened if I wasn’t wearing my helmet. I could have been permanently hurt and or mentally handicapped. Would I be where I am at today? The simple act of making the decision to wear a helmet or not could have been a life changing event. Taking a moment of your time to remember to do what you were taught along life’s way can really make all the difference in your life.

proudmama123 said...
Congratulations Girl !  You make a momma Very Proud.  I remember this day all too well and I am ever so Thankful that you had God's Angels watching over you.  :)  <3