Devil Child | Teen Ink

Devil Child

By LadyAthenaFae SILVER, Holdenville, Oklahoma
LadyAthenaFae SILVER, Holdenville, Oklahoma

Flashback to me at around 8 years old. My mother and I were driving on a hot sunny day in Anthony, Florida. We had pulled our red Nissan into a Shells Gas Station so I could use the bathroom. I ran inside but quickly forgot my troubles when I passed the candy isle, but then my bladder started aching. I rushed to the bathroom, slamming the door behind me, of course forgetting to lock the door, and quickly used the bathroom. I ran out of the bathroom, as I often did due to my fear of the toilet eating me, yes very funny haha, but spotted the candy again. I knew my mother didn’t have any money due to her drug addiction she thought we didn’t know about. Now you see, we regularly passed this store and I had been intent on coming back to pay for it, but I really wanted it and thought it was ok at the time I mean everyone else in my life just took what they wanted right? So I took it and slipped it into my little jean purse with a pink butterfly on it that I carried around constantly, back when I liked purses. Well as a child I failed to realize there was a camera and it was pointed right at me and my mother and the cashier both watched mew do it. “Revel!” is all I heard and I winched, my mother only used that middle name when she was really angry. I drug my feet up to the counter with my head down chewing on my hair. Heidi snatched my purse from me, looked inside, and thrust it back in my hands. She instructed me to apologize and personally go give the candy back to the cashier. I apologized begrudged and my mother took all my purses and gave them to my know-it-all step-cousin Savannah. I never stole anything, except once, ever again, but that’s another story. 

i read an expect called Honkey by Dalton Conley and it reminded me of an incident where I had done something bad. Please, any advice/critisism is wanted.