The Room I Slept | Teen Ink

The Room I Slept

October 29, 2015
By MaryRagheb GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
MaryRagheb GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

The bed spread lay crumpled on the bed. There clearly had been no effort made to make the bed. One strategically stepped towards the cluttered desk working hard to avoid stepping on the clothes sprawled across the room in a myriad of colors. Upon the desk lied textbook upon textbook as if a skyscraper was in the process of being built. Pencils were scattered across the desk, and if one were to look closely, he/ she would be able to see pencils peeping out from the slightly ajar drawers. Across the room was a closet with its doors propped open. Beside the closet was a small bookshelf much too small for the piles of books stacked upon it. Many of the books were old and torn from the infinite times their pages had been turned. As one approached the books, the smell of musty paper floated up to my nose. The perfume could clearly be seen coming from a stack of antique comic books piled on the floor beside the shelf. The comics books were much older than the resident of the room. Their pages were old and torn; tinted an old yellow with faded color.

The room itself was just under half the size of a regular classroom. The walls were painted a bright lime green dulled over time. In many places the walls could not be seen behind the posters. In some places, there were posters of books, television programs and religious symbols. However, in other areas there were personal artwork. A painting of a sunset over the ocean hung beside the windows facing out into the street. The windows were covered by a peculiar curtain. It looked as if the curtains were stuck in time; stuck in a time of childhood. The curtains had little bears living in a town. There were malls, schools and houses. No matter how many time the owner’s mother pestered her to change the curtains, they remained hanging. On the opposite wall was a large mirror standing on a crowded dresser. The dresser was covered with loose hair ties and random jewelry. In the corner of the desk there was a jewelry box with a thin layer of dust covering it from the lack of use. The rug lying between the dresser and the bed was a simple white with large pink dots. On the other side of the bed was a much smaller rug. It had a purple and grey pattern. There were shoes of all types lied up on the wall next to the purple rug. The shoes ranged from boots to sneakers to flip - flops.

As it begins to darken outside, a street lamp across the street turns on. From it spreads a flow of soft yellow light through the room. As a car drives by, the head lights cast shadow which to any other person would be slightly creepy. However, after years of seeing the shadows, it has become a comfort to the occupant of the room. By looking out the window above the bed, one can see the roof of the garage and a section of the road and driveway. A white mini van is parked on the drive way. The light of passing cars reflect off its shiny surface. As one lies in the bed the ceiling is a bare greyish white. The room is always illuminated by the light in the hallway entering through the entrance. The light brings a certain comfort because it is consistent and will always be there. As the owner begins to fall asleep, all the worries from the day are forgotten. All that is left is the dread of the beeping from her alarm clock beside her.


The author's comments:

This is a descrtiptive setting piece decribing my room in a way to decribe my personality.