Hand surgery #2 | Teen Ink

Hand surgery #2

February 29, 2016
By ellarue22 BRONZE, Highland, Utah
ellarue22 BRONZE, Highland, Utah
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Everybody is different in their own special way, although it might not be that big everyone has something special about them. I have something a bit bigger than other people, I have a disorder with my thumb. Its called hypoplastic thumb. Basically what this is, is where I was born without a tendon, and some ligaments, and a muscle. I can't bend my thumb, or do some things the way most normal people can. But I alway try my hardest, and always find a way to do something.


When I was 10 years old I had my second surgery on my thumb. I had my surgery in July of 2013. The location of my surgery was in the Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake. I remember when the doctor told me I had to have surgery in order to fix it, I walked out of that hospital knowing that things were going to change.


The morning of surgery, my dad, mom, grandma and I rode up to the hospital. The people dressed in scrubs, and hospital clothes were very nice, and were are a great help in calming me down. I was so scared. When I approached the surgery check-in, they sent me back to get dressed. After I changed into my hospital gown, the nurse took me out to the waiting room where I would wait for the surgery to commence. I colored, chose the flavor of the anesthesia, (I chose raspberry),played with some dolls, and talked with a few of the nurses, answering basic questions. 


When they came in and told me they were ready for me, I started to cry a little. I was the scaredest I have ever been. My body felt heavy with the emotion I was feeling. I hugged my mom and dad goodbye for the next couple of hours, which pushed me over the edge and I almost lost it. The nurse and I walked side by side through the bright colored hallways. We then took a sharp right, and entered into the surgical room.


The nurse helped me up onto the bed in the center of room. She then glided swiftly and softly to the other side of the room, where she retrieved a warm blanket. When she was back at my side she laid the warm blanket over the top of me, before I could count to 10. The anesthesiologist put a mask on me, and told me to relax and just breathe. It only took a few seconds before the light overhead went dark, and everything went fuzzy.  And then the room went completely dark.


When I came out of surgery and was in the recovery room, everything was a big blurry blob of nothing. The nurse came in after a minute of me being awake. She asked me how I was feeling and asked if I wanted her to put a movie on for me. I said yes. The women in the bright colored scrubs put on a movie for me, but I don’t remember what movie it was. The nurse said I had to eat something before they could send me home. I drank some sprite, and ate some applesauce. My mom wheeled me out in a wheelchair the nurse had given her (I was a little out of it at the time). When I returned home from the surgery, I had a few visitors waiting for me. My aunt and uncle's family were there. Some of my neighbors, and some other relatives.  I sat down for a little bit and the loud voices that were in the room next door, became something like a dream. The next thing I knew I was fast asleep in my soft fluffy bed.


The author's comments:

I was born with Hypoplastic thumb when I was little. I have had 2 surgerys so far and I might have to have another. Surgerys aren't my most favorite things, but I'll live.