Utopia | Teen Ink

Utopia

March 29, 2016
By MaryRagheb GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
MaryRagheb GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Utopia; a perfect world. Each person has a unique definition of what Utopia is. For many, their Utopia is a place from their childhood however, not for all. Personally, my Utopia is my families’ vacation destination. Every year growing up, my family and I would go to Virginia Beach. It was a tradition that one year ended. Although I have not been there for many years, it will always have a place in my heart. It was more than just a vacation destination. It was a place where I found myself.

I can only recall vague memories of the first few years there but I will never forget them. My brother, being older than me, always did everything before me. This also meant that I wanted to do everything he did. This included driving the large family bikes. I was always too small to reach the pedals so I sat in the seat attached to the front. I loved the feeling of leading my family, the wind blowing in my face cooling me from the intense heat of the sun. Then finally one year I was tall enough to reach the pedals. It was amazing finally being able to pedal with the rest of my family especially my brother. This only lasted a short time though because soon my brother was old enough to drive the bike and that was all I wanted to do. Driving the bike was a right of passage. It meant you were no longer a baby and rather an equal member of the family. Three years later, it was finally my turn. I was still to short to reach the wheel and pedal at the same time so my dad had to carry me. He would pedal but I had control of the wheel. Or so I thought. In reality my dad was also holding the wheel to insure we did not crash but I didn’t notice. I was caught up in the feeling of power and control. I had grown up. I was no longer the baby my family saw me as.


Not only did I come of age in Virginia Beach, but I learned to face my fears. As small children, my brother and I would stay in the shallow water together playing. The only time we went deeper in was when our parents would carry us in. However, there came a day when my dad took my brother into the deep ocean and taught him to ‘fight the waves’.  I was much too scared to join them so I stayed near the shore with my mom. Once again, my brother was doing something I couldn’t. The only thing holding me back was myself. My fear. My brother would beg me to come into the water with him. To fight the waves but I couldn’t get myself to do it and one day he gave up. My parents used to tell him I’ll go in when I’m ready, but I feared I would never be ready. Finally, I approached my dad and brother. I was ready to face my fears. They took me into the water. I remember holding to my dad gazing out into the ocean. The vast emptiness. It looked like it had no end, but with my brother on one side and my dad on the other, I was not afraid. They taught me the different kinds of waves and how to recognize which ones I should dive into and which to float over. I distinctly remember one large wave that was approaching us. My dad and brother had decided that they would just float over it but I was convinced it would flip sooner. I took a risk and dove into the wave. When I popped out of the water my dad and brother were no longer there. My initial sense of panic was quickly washed away when my dad and brother popped out of the water laughing. The wave had flipped them as I had predicted. The amateur wave fighter had out smarted the professionals. I had faced my fears and found a whole new playground in the ocean.


I have always loved vacations. Especially the fact that the fun never truly ended. After a long day in the sun, my family and I would go out for dinner and then set out to enjoy the night life. My brother and I had always argued on where to eat until the day we discovered Planet Pizza. It was a space themed restaurant which served our favorite food. It was the only place we could agree on and that is what made it so special. We would then take a walk down the boardwalk. There were amazing things to buy everywhere. My parents gave me and my brother a small amount of money to spend throughout the whole vacation. Any money not spent we could keep. At first we both spent the money quickly but we began to realize that we were spending the money all wrong. We started looking for sales and sharing things instead of buying one for each of us. Not only did we learn how to mange money on a budget but also to work together to ensure we had money left over. I learned many other lessons at Virginia Beach; lessons I’ll never forget. The memories of these amazing vacations will always be my perfect world.

 

My Utopia.