Life Saver | Teen Ink

Life Saver

May 11, 2016
By ejerrier BRONZE, Franklin, Massachusetts
ejerrier BRONZE, Franklin, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My parents had always protected me from the hate and cruelty of the world.  I never imagined something going wrong in someone in my family’s life, or my own.  I had never realized how fortunate I was to be surrounded by people who loved me -- until the summer of 2009.
   

We were on our way home around noon from a visit in New Jersey to see my aunts, uncles, and cousins.  I stared through the car window at the houses beside the highway.   I was in the back seat alongside my sister, Kate.  Grace and Jack were in the middle row and my parents were up front.  Before we had gotten on the road to leave, we stopped at a penny candy store for some treats. 
   

“Don’t eat your candy in the car or you will choke,” my mom warned us. 
   

She was always cautious like that because she was a nurse.
   

We said “okay” in unison.
   

I listened to Taylor Swift as we continued down the highway.  A couple minutes later, I saw my dad look in the rearview mirror.  His eyes filled with horror.  He yelled something to my mom and pulled the car over on the side of the highway.  I pulled my earbuds out.
   

My dad carried Grace out of the car onto the grass as my mom dialed 9-1-1.  I saw that Grace had eaten a LifeSavers hard candy and choked on it.  Her Disney princess blanket was covered in vomit.
   

I became hysterical but tried to control myself so Grace wouldn’t be as scared.  Tears filled my eyes as I saw my mom giving Grace the heimlich maneuver.  Grace looked so tired and weak.
   

Flashing lights from ambulance and police cars were giving me a headache.  My siblings and I ran to the top of the grassy hill.  I stood next to a tree.  It was surrounded by mulch and lined with bricks.  Fiercely, I kicked the bricks and pressed my head against the stump of the tree.  It killed me that I could not do anything to help.  Once I saw my elder sister Kate crying, I lost a little bit of hope.  In that moment, I did the only thing I could do -- pray.
   

I prayed an “Our Father” and promised God that I would always obey my parents and be kind to others if He could let Grace live.  I sniveled and tears trickled down my face and onto my magenta blouse.  My head pounded and I slowly descended from the peak of the hill.
   

Paramedics surrounded Grace after my mom helped her gag out the candy.  They were talking to her and I saw my mom sitting beside Grace stroking her hair.  It seemed as if my mom and Grace would always have a close bond after that day.
   

We were back on the road after some time and the car was silent.  I prayed again thanking God for Grace’s life, and my other siblings’ lives.  Then, I put my earbuds back in and stared out the window, occasionally convulsing.

   

The car pulled in our driveway around 7 p.m.  All of us were completely worn out.  When we entered our house, Grace placed her blanket into the laundry hamper to be cleaned.


    “Throw out your candy,” my mom ordered us, based on the previous events of the day. 
    Kate, Grace, Jack, and I did as we were told, then followed upstairs to bed.
    Grace and I entered our room and changed into pajamas.  Our parents came in to say goodnight.
    First, they went to Grace, then, to me.
    They said “goodnight” and “love you”.  I said it back, but not in a perfunctory manner… not tonight.
   

That day in the summer has forever transformed my life.  It is important to always be grateful for what you have and remind loved ones how much they mean to you.  I still try to cherish every moment with my family and friends and relish all that my parents and God have given me.