My Passion | Teen Ink

My Passion

By Im_Royalty BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Im_Royalty BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

2:28pm, time couldn’t move any slower. Anxiously waiting for 2:30. My eyes glued to the clock. Seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours. I bow my head in a pray like posture, hoping, praying for a good game.

I sit here thinking. As a sudden rush of memory and emotions overwhelmed me, thinking of all the times I’ve visited the hospital. The pain in my shoulder popping out of place is a feeling I’m way to familiar with. The memory of the car crash I was in that severed my right leg also crossed my mind. “Why play sports with such serious injuries?” this is a thought that constantly drifted around in my head.

The bell finally rang as I slowly made my way towards the gym. As I make my way towards the locker room again it came to me “Is basketball worth playing anymore?” Elkton High, a school from Maryland who was highly favored in the game tonight. Everyone was confident that we was going to lose. Sadly, I felt the same. Coach bump me down to junior varsity because I’ve been having problems with my shoulder dislocating.

Few hours went by and it’s half time. My heart is pounding out my chest and my body drench in sweat, we’re down 22-11. Humiliated by our performance my feet dragged behind me as our whole team walks into the locker room.  Our coach frustrated like every game usually yells but this time he walked away in shame. We sat there still, quiet. My teammate and close friend jalique started to speak.

“We shouldn’t be losing dog. Everyone jokes about us. When I was at Howard and I told people I was coming to Dickinson, they laughed. They kept telling me that y’all suck, that we suck.

“I came here to have fun and play basketball and to be with my bros. Y’all playing scared, and soft. They’re literally laughing at us while we play. That’s pathetic dog. Students at Dickinson talk about how terrible we play everyday, right bro?”

He looks towards me for an answer. I responded with a smirk and a quick glance towards the ground.
“Why are you laughing? You making me mad, I’m being serious and you’re laughing.” Jalique yelled at me.
All I could say was “It’s just funny that-“

“It’s not funny” Jalique furiously stated as he interrupted me.
Tired, exhausted, my muscles stuck in a tense state. I sit there thinking. “Why? Why play?" Random stream of pain traveled to my ankle interrupted my thought. The same leg I’ve had so many surgeries on. I continue to think about the importance of basketball, a reason I couldn’t find. It kinda hurts knowing that while you work hard, playing your heart out that your teammates are playing around and doesn’t care if we win or lose. These are the same teammates that never show up at practiced but magically appears on game day. The sound of the buzzer pulls me back to reality. The second half was about to begin. We trotted out onto the court. Our fate was surly known.

Like a gladiator fighting for his life, we fought to come back. By the end of the third quarter the score was 33-25, we was still behind. A funny thought came to mind. “We could actually win this.” My body was soak in sweat, also in excruciating pain but I wasn’t tired. Mostly because I ran the mile every day. Time always seem to fly when you’re on the court.

I look up and see twelve seconds in the fourth quarter. 42-41, we lead. It was our possession. Even though we was up, we had to score. It was a must if we wanted to win. If we missed they was surly going to score with their elite players. My teammates struggled for air, as I am not fatigued.

The whistle blew. We did not have a play set up. I pass the ball into a freshman on our team. He was someone who you couldn’t really depend on. He makes many mistakes in the game, but he was the only one open. The opposite team had two players playing defense our vulnerable freshman who had the ball. Two players sticking one person, that caused one of us to be open. The clock tics down, our coach screams to the freshman to pass the ball. Surely our last chance to win hanged in the balance of this possibly last play. He throws the ball. I jumped to retrieve the ball, I pulled it into my body. I turned and squared my feet towards the basket. a quick glance towards the clock, seven seconds remain. With no one in my way nor near me, I had two choices. Shoot the three for a 3 points or drive and get a layup for 2. I take one dribble and slowly start to raise my body to shoot the three.

A image appeared in front of me. Seeing myself practice at the park and the gym everyday. Remembering the long hours I've put in to create a effective jumper.

My form is steady and strong, I released the ball. As my feet makes contact with the ground again the ball continues to soar towards the basket. I close my eyes, complete silence...

The answer came to me. "why do I play basketball even though all the odds are against me?"... Passion. Its my love for the sport. The thought of never being able to play again makes me cringe. Basketball is my passion. "I play for moments like these."