My Favorite Song | Teen Ink

My Favorite Song

By adinlampros BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
adinlampros BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire

Everybody has that one song that they love and can listen to non-stop. One song that I really like is “Young, Dumb and Broke”, by Khalid. The first time I ever heard the track “Young, Dumb and Broke” , by Khalid was when I was driving.  This song to me is the epitome of high school. I feel this way about the song because I am currently in high school and can understand and relate to the song. I could compare it to my life now and see similarities in the way I think and the song lyrics. This song is upbeat and brings happy feelings, which is one reason why I enjoy the song.

Khalid always talks about love, specifically love in high school, “Yeah we're just young dumb and broke , but we still got love to give.” He emphasizes on the fact that in high school, you are young but there are always relationships that will form. When I hear these lyrics they make me remember the relationships I've had with other people during high school. Right now I have a girlfriend I’ve been dating for 10 months and I believe this is what Khalid is saying, even though I'm young, dumb and broke I can still show love.

With this song I can somewhat relate, he talks about being young, living your life the way you want to and mistakes you can make. When I was driving, I was driving in my red Volkswagen Jetta with my friends. The friends I was with was Ian, Marcus, and Krys. That day we were on our way to Buffalo Wild Wings at five pm on a summer day with the windows down and hands out of the window, like we didn't have care in the world. I remember when the song came on we all instantly connected to it and related. The song put us all in a happy and joyful mood. That day it was cloudy and humid but we were all still having fun. On the drive to Buffalo Wild Wings the scenery was a lot of big green oak trees, variety of cars, and windy poorly paved roads.

In the song he talks about going with the flow and living life how it comes “I'm so high at the moment, i'm so caught up in it this.” Young Dumb and Broke is all about taking life one step at a time. It's all about doing what you want and what makes you happy no matter what others think about it. I feel like that at such a young age you shouldn't be stressing over the little things, and should just take life as it comes.

“We have so much in common, we argue all the time.” What I take from this quote is that he's talking about relationships and how they could go from good to bad. He is telling the x  audience that something's aren't meant to be and not to stress too much over what you can't control. In high school especially you will lose and gain friendships. In the past I’ve experienced bad relationships that started out good. In the beginning it was really good but in the end we fought a lot and didn't get along.

Overall this song puts me in a good mood and makes me happy. The song makes me realize that I am young and I should live my life how I want while i'm still young. It also made me realize that whatever I'm going through there is others going through the same things as me. When I first heard this song I didn't listen much to the lyrics. I more felt the beat and focused on how it made me feel. Now I know the lyrics, I feel the lyrics. Knowing the lyrics word by word allows me to connect to the song even more than I did the first time I heard it. This track has almost evolved. It went from it making me happy and kinda relating to it, to completely understanding all of the lyrics.