Puzzle | Teen Ink

Puzzle

We had been working on the puzzle for a while, but at the end, my brother and I could not find the last piece. We searched for it for a while and my brother eventually found it. As my brother was fitting the last piece in, my mind was elsewhere... I cannot believe my brother is leaving for college tonight. I jolted back into the real world, and ran upstairs. I went into my bedroom, shut the bedroom door, and locked it. I tried to read, I played for a while, I slept…but I could not do anything without thinking about my brother leaving. I recalled many fun times with my brother: preparing a party for our parents, telling each other jokes, breaking a light while playing indoor sports. Eight hours passed. I continued to get lost in my thoughts. There will be nobody to help me do homework, entertain me, or play with me. Another four hours passed. For the rest of the day, I panicked. I repeatedly paced across the hallway while thinking of all that I was going to lose. Five minutes later, I helped my dad load the seven suitcases into the trunk of our car. The car pulled back from the driveway. I watched the car drive off, heading towards the airport, until it was out of sight. When I passed my brother’s room, upstairs, a sense of quiet surrounded me. It felt as if something was missing, like the last piece of a puzzle…

Mr.Gr said...
Mr.Gr, Cupertino, California
Love the way you connected the puzzle metaphor at the end.