Gone. | Teen Ink

Gone.

November 20, 2018
By rroeder BRONZE, Lake Barrington, Illinois
rroeder BRONZE, Lake Barrington, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I got a text from my family from the vacation we went on.  It was a picture. A picture of someone who was losing something.  Sitting confused in a wheelchair, his pride restricted by boots that were strapped to the chair.  His personality fleeing from the scene in desperation to stay alive. Someone so very important; He sits uncomfortable, and waits for the flash.  Click, Click, send. It's in the family chat. I saw it and felt it all. The restriction, the sadness, the confusion. I felt all of it. I shut off my phone and continue my day.  I didn't know that trip,that picture would be the last. He was gone. Then I felt it too, and then I was gone. For a long time Almost forever it feels. Not knowing what to do, Not knowing what to say,   I stay silent, and do nothing but the norm. I'm just there. Going through the motions. Trying to make it seem all ok. The nights are the worst. Getting lost in a sea of thoughts. Drowning. Like ships lost at sea.  In a battle with each other. Good versus bad. Only one will win. Bad thoughts hitting the good thoughts like a bowling ball hitting bowling pins; strike. The nights go from closing my eyes and waking up to closing my eyes and leaving them closed.  That way always seemed easier. Not that I wanted to, but that it was the easiest to do. To lay down and think, to pretend, to imagine. It all being different, but it wasn’t. He was gone.


The author's comments:

Gone.