Start From What Her Eyes See | Teen Ink

Start From What Her Eyes See

Who am I?

I ask that to myself every few days. But being honest, I don't know. I look in the mirror, judging a girl with brown eyes. Her eyes compare that girl to others around her. Those eyes see someone imperfect who can't help but try to be beautiful.

Where am I?

Once again, I have no idea. I’m in a world filled with immorality, selfishness, and hatred. Those same brown eyes assess the world and create an image, causing that girl to hate it.

To the society that loathes me, I may be merely one person. But to a single person, I may be the whole world. Some people have multiple individuals to whom they are the world. My longing is to have one of those people be me. I want to love myself.

But what’s the purpose?

I’m a mutant that wants to love herself.

This realization slaps me in the face. It hits hard enough that I can't seem to find sleep.

This world says I should prioritize myself first. I'm the one I should love in this life. But my mind won't allow that.

This world also says to take it steadily. So in the beginning, I'll only find myself. I think I'll come to love myself some day.

Personal Experience