Minnesota | Teen Ink

Minnesota

When my family and I went to Bowstring Lake, we had quite a surprise.  We could hear something, somewhere inside the cabin, but I could only hear it if I listened very carefully.  There was a big storm the night before, so it was expected that something would be off in the cabin since it was built 60 or 70 years ago.  About 20 minutes later, my grandpa discovered a full grown duck had fallen down the chimney and into the fireplace. He pulled it out and held it until it shook the dust out of its wings.  Then it somehow it flew back into the lake completely unharmed. That experience made me want to continue taking trips like this one in the future. I want to live in Minnesota for the rest of my life and I enjoy the activities, seasons, and the location here.

There are many activities to do in Minnesota, like fishing.  Fishing just happens to be one of the few things that I find fun and enjoyable.  Going outside when it’s not unbearably hot feels great and when I catch something I always have this good feeling inside.  If I didn’t have that in my life, I would probably be a couch potato and play on my Nintendo DS all day every day. Then there are all five professional sports leagues in Minnesota, so they are an important part of my life.  Personally, my favorite is baseball, I enjoy watching the Twins as well as going to Saints games.

Even though sports aren’t particularly my favorite thing to do, I think that my life would be very different without it.  I think that these things have made an important impact on my life, I have fun memories of both of these, and I want to do this again sometime in the future.

One of the best things about Minnesota is the seasons.  It’s unique because Minnesota has 4 true seasons. My favorite part is in the spring where the trees bud out, all the color comes back, and people watch for the first robin to appear.  The weather is really good here compared to other states. The weather is always either hot, kind of hot, really cold, or kind of cold. I think it’s good to have a consistency like that, unlike some places where it’s hot one day and cold the next.  On top of all that, we don’t typically have natural catastrophes like tornados and hurricanes. Since we don’t have extreme weather besides the occasional blizzard, the location is overall good, which brings me to my next point.

One of the things that I like the most about Minnesota is the location.  The first reason my family picked Minnesota is that it was easy for my dad to drive to work with his main office being in the cities.  My mom is a “stay at home” kind of mom, so it was important that my dad could get to work fairly easily. The second reason was that we were really close to my family.  The majority of my relatives lives in Minnesota and I enjoy seeing them from time to time. If my family stayed in Colorado, we would only be able to come back and visit for important events.  Then I would be asking my parents who that cousin was and what my grandma looks like. Instead, I get to see them much more often than that and I even know their cats' names. It’s also easy to go down to my grandma and grandpa’s house it’s only an hour away.  Traveling in Minnesota is fairly simple, the roadways are excellent and it ranks in the top 10 states for its infrastructure. It’s also easy to head up north to our lake to fish. These are the reasons why the location is perfect for me.

In conclusion, Minnesota the perfect place for me.  I like all activities that I can do, the seasons tie into all my favorite activities, and the location is close to all of the things that are important to me.  I think that what happened upon Bowstring is part of the reason why I want to stay here for the rest of my life. I had a blast up there, I have great memories about it, and I was with my family as well.  That’s why I want to live in Minnesota for the rest of my life.