Who am I? | Teen Ink

Who am I?

By jiangjin_2002 BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina
jiangjin_2002 BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina

Who am I? Words pop out of my head when I ask myself this question, as if it's the easiest question to answer in this world. I am defined as many things, yet I am one thing and the only thing that cannot be copied. But I want to clarify and discriminate myself—that I am a living creature. I am not a candle consuming itself to light the room; I am not a piece of chicken breast lying in the plate and waiting to be eaten; that I am, sitting still and typing all the words into my computer now, while I am breathing and thinking.

I am a human being.

And I am from the combination of biological cells and a future pile of bones. I am breathing the oxygen, drinking water molecules, and being fed by proteins, vitamins, fat, sugar, and etc. Unless something really serious and catastrophic on Earth happens, I am like this. I am ordinary.

I am “daughter”, "granddaughter" and probably a "mother" (there is the possibility yet I am not sure right now). I am the sweet little girl in front of my mom, but to be honest, sometimes I am rebellious.

My parents sometimes say that I am kind. Admittedly, I am. I am sad because there are people below the poverty line starving to death. I define myself as the best therapist when I am in front of my friends who are going through "life crisis"--such as some high school girls drama. I am kind, I admit.

I am a student for the past over ten years and I am sticking on to this position. I am overwhelmed by all the assignments teachers give but I am still doing them. For my grades? Probably, just like what I am doing right now.

Just kidding. I am a student who goes to school to learn, am I?

I am the definition of myself. I am the thoughts and feelings. But at the same time, I do not always reveal my feelings on my face. I indulge the fog to becloud and conceal my facial expression when I do not want to share the muddy evil spirit with others.

When I am homesick, I do not cry out loud in front of people, otherwise, it would be really awkward, right?

To some, I am in the need of better outfits, makeups, education, and everything. Why? Because every time when I step into the gate of the shopping mall across the street to my home, people (actually they are sellers) rush to me and ask me if I need to buy more fashion clothes, reshape my eyebrows, dye my hair, take English classes, or invest money on houses. Do I?

I am a confusing person, and I am this especially when people call my name. When people call my Chinese name, they pronounce it in a way that as if I am a stranger to myself. I am always the one to clarify my different names and help people to pronounce it. They just cannot get it right and then blame me on being a confusion to them. O.K.

I am everything and I am nothing.

I am this and I am that. And I am, from time to time, always myself.

I am what I eat. And I am this especially when I bite my nails.

I am greeted with "What's up" and "How do you do". And then, I replied "Yes". Don't be skeptical, I am your friend, but just in a wrong way of saying "hello" to you.

I am someone who likes to go to the barn. But I am not the guy with the face mask and helmet all over to avoid the smell of the horses. I am tan because of the equestrian. But I am in love with it.

I am bravery. I am courage. I am valor. I am daring. I am holding a thesaurus.

I am not picky or needy. However, the most important part is that never give me chocolate. I am someone who weirdly does not accept chocolate at all.

I am right-handed. But when I seat next to some left-handed people, I am sorry if I bump you in the arm. I don't have my eyes on my arm, I am sorry.

I am confused about when to say "Excuse Me" or "Sorry" and I am not expecting "It's Okay" in an annoyed tone of voice as the reply. I am sorry. I am supposed to be some sort of mind reader, I guess. But there is nothing you can do to help me read others' minds, right?

I am looking at you. And I am winking at you right now.

I am saying "Hello" in a nice way.

I am sensing that you don’t know me. I am starting to feel awkward.

I am getting out of here.

I am gone.

The definition of "I" always confuses me. And when it comes to actually list all the definitions I have for myself, I find it interesting to write them down in a humorous way to express myself.