Was It Really A Home? | Teen Ink

Was It Really A Home?

Have you ever lived in a house where there's over 10+ people, other than yourself? How about this one…. where everyone in the house is an alcoholic too? Or a house that you get blamed for everything even though it’s not your fault?

Hello. My name is Peyton. I am 15 years old. I used to live in a home where there was always over several people living in it. My biological mother was and still is an alcoholic, but who would blame her? She has five kids who are all girls. The oldest is 25 and she likes to collect animal skulls and hang them up on her wall. The second oldest is 20 and doesn't know how to take things as a joke, then makes you feel bad for yelling at her. The middle child, who is 2 days older than me, likes to try to kill herself every other month and my mother blames me for it. The youngest is 7 and takes everything for granted. She also likes to abuse you, nor does she ever get told no. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I’m probably the closest one to being normal.

I have always felt out of place with that family especially when I was little. My mom made me go to therapy because I wouldn't talk to her. The therapist said my mom and I need to have a girls day, where it’s just me and her every other month. Do you want to know how many times we did that? We did that about four times in my whole life. I was so done with that family. So I moved out of the house when I was twelve years old. It was the summer of me going into 7th grade. I had to start at a new school for the 9th time. I was so happy to get away from my mother and I had my stuffed packed in two days. I wanted to leave so bad. I then left when my mom was at work. It’s been three years since I’ve moved and all I get is a guilt trip from my mother and somehow I still get blamed for everything.

Thanks to my stepmom, whom has been more of a mother to me than my own biological mom. She has opened my eyes to show me that I need to stick up for myself. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be who I am today. If I didn't move, I would probably be an alcoholic like my mother. In conclusion, I am so grateful I moved because if I didn't I wouldn't have my future goals to go to college, and I’m sure I’d be failing all my classes. I would have a horrible future, but now I don't, thanks to my two parents that actually care about me.

This Actually happened to me. If anyone is going through this I'm sorry.