The Tex-Mex Gift | Teen Ink

The Tex-Mex Gift

By chulis06 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
chulis06 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

Martin’s Restaurant - A Tex-Mex Cuisine -  the big sign with bright red letters is what I first saw when entering into my Uncle Martin’s restaurant. As I opened the door, a gust of wind always hit when I would enter the restaurant and the hostess greeted me in Spanish and received me with a kiss on the cheek and a hug, the rest of my family was given the same. The red-bricked restaurant was huge and radiated with ecstatic customers savoring the sizzling fajitas, enchiladas,and tacos coming out of the kitchen at an upbeat pace, since many came to celebrate New Year’s eve at our family-owned restaurant. Still, viewing the servers both taking orders from the customers and running the food to their designated table that can be smelled as far as the parking lot. Next, I saw all my cousins and leaped towards their direction knowing we were going to have a lot of fun playing with games and toys  for the rest of the night. Before, I was to begin to play with my cousins, I could see my mom’s eyes piercing into me knowing that I was to greet Uncle Martin before I was to do anything else, so I headed on to his office, the only languid space in the lively restaurant full of music and customers having the time of their lives, and greeted my uncle.

Our Uncle Martin reserved us the largest ballroom he had to offer that had a capacity of 150 guests that was filled of the Rodriguez family and friends. As I entered, I began to see the adults glued to the television and could hear the profound sound system that was on the end of the ballroom. However, I immediately paid attention to my cousin’s hand he was holding a Game Boy, I gazed at the space grey Game Boy Advance SP from the time it started to the end when we would put it up when one of the cousins were leaving. I was  infatuated with the tune, bright colors, and all the cool game you could play in it. My mom hated the Game Boy since I would always talk about it and wanted one so badly, she even called me superficial for always thinking about the Game Boy. Still, every time I saw Martincillo at the restaurant, Uncle Martin’s son, I would take advantage of being able to play a round of Mario Kart and always choosing to be Yoshi.

While I was playing with the Game Boy, I was in the last round of Mario Kart and was so close to first place but then Martincillo snatched the Game Boy from me. His excuse for doing that was that he wanted to play the game with his friends and the guy cousins he invited. I looked the whole time down at the floor since I didn’t want anyone to see I was sad for not having the Game Boy, so I sat to the corner of the ballroom and began playing with my thumbs. Then, my mom and Uncle Martin came up to me scared she was going to lecture me for throwing a tantrum, but I saw my Uncle Martin with a small box as if she was to give a formal deliverance. She then handed it to me and I began to take off the gift wrap anxiously and nearly froze to see that it was a brand new Game Boy Advance SP I had wanted my whole life at the moment. My eyes gleaming at my Uncle Martin and my mom looking for acceptance and validation of the Game Boy that was in my hands and confirm it was mine, then my mom nodded happily as she saw I was happy that I could reach for the sky. Then, I glanced at my game boy again and smiled at the bright cherry red console.

Hello! Thank you for reading my personal story and I hope you enjoyed every bit of the work. I was inspired by this when assigned a creative journal in my AP English Literature and Composition class, in which has made me a better writer each day I go to this class.

Giovana Rodriguez is currently a Senior at the Judge Barefoot Sanders Law Magnet at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Magnet Center in Dallas,TX. She is seventeen years old, but will be eighteen in one month.In the fall of 2019, she will be attending Oklahoma State University and major in Global Studies with an emphasis in Pre-Law, Go Pokes!!. Finally, Giovana will one day like to travel all of South America and Asia.