New Beginnings and Old Endings | Teen Ink

New Beginnings and Old Endings

October 17, 2019
By kaxxeryn BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
kaxxeryn BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It’s funny how one place can impact your life to an extreme amount.It’s also funny how easy it is to leave those places. Everyone has to decide once in their life if they want to stay or they want to leave a place, which when it came down for me to decide it was one of the hardest things to do.

When I was three, my family decided to move where my father’s family lived. My very first memory is in the house we first lived in, my first birthday in my childhood home, in New Bedford, Massachusetts. I always knew I wouldn’t have lived there forever, but i always wanted to be the one to get out of that city and be able to visit it. Don’t get me wrong I still can since my father lives there, but it’s not the same as when I was there. The cove walks around the ocean, being able to go to the demolished buildings and take pictures or just walk around my city looking at the different shops I never went to. After ten years living in that city, my family decided it was time for a fresh new start. What happened with me? Well….

  When my mother told me that she wanted to move to Delaware for a new start and a personal reason, I couldn’t imagine myself living somewhere else other than the place I was raised in. So many memories in one place. All the emotions I have ever felt since I could remember would be left behind in my city. Of course it’s always  pleasant to have new beginnings , but what if it were up to you you know nothing about a place you are told you are going to live in and feel safe, comfort, happiness, and just the feeling of home, how would you react? The old memories that flood your mind in moments like this create this wall that closes your mind up instead of trying to open it up to make it easier for the new transition. At least that is how it happened for me. Even when packing up it becomes hard, you see things that make the memories come back even with a good laugh with your family.

Arriving to Delaware made it real, the tears began to flood my eyes that I could barely see what it looked like at first. Knowing that iI had to start over like if i was entering a new school. Like when a middle schooler enters high school, the feeling of being the nervous overwhelmed me. I had left the best part of me in the city I love. When I talked to people, they instantly knew i wasn’t from Delwawre, which was nerve racking. I wish someone would tell me how it would feel. I did get used to it eventually, but to this day memories still come to me, the way we celebrated holidays and went to church with our family and friends. I miss it tremendously and I don’t think any place could replace it as my home. 

The reason I am who I am, why I sound the way I do, and act the way I may act, all because of living in one place. Places are so easy to be left but when you love a place so much it becomes so hard to forget.


The author's comments:

This piece is very meaningful to me because i never get to talk to someone about how i feel or felt during this transition. I hope you readers like it!!