Don't Stash The Evidence | Teen Ink

Don't Stash The Evidence

By fresno8kitty BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
fresno8kitty BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

The year was 2012, and I was a 7 year old, careless, but organized kid. I lived in a town with about 2,000 people; I loved it there, and I never really was bored. At the time I was a homeschooled child, so I would do my homework for the week in 2 or 3 day. Of course my friends were in school, which meant I had to wait till they got home. I would wake up anywhere between 4am and 6am. Then I would quickly do my school work. Then I would either enjoy shooting joops, about 100 a day. If I did that, then I would do more homework, or just play Nintendo until my friends arrived home. My family and I did foster care, so we had kids that weren’t able to be taken care of by their families. I normally lived in a family from 6 to 9 people. We loved our house, and we lived on a field in a neighborhood, with 2 dogs. Although I sometimes got into a little trouble here and there.

I would do my routine about every day, but since I woke up so early I breakfast early. I would quickly flip the light switch while outside it is pitch black. Then i would swiftly and quietly run to the pantry to get breakfast, although sometimes my eyes drifted upward to what I really wanted for breakfast, which was the Halloween candy. Thankfully I only grabbed one, although I grabbed one every day for about 5 months. The candy I stole really added up, and I couldn’t believe how much I had stolen. Sometimes I even took donuts that my Granpa would bring on Saturdays, so if we had donuts I would eat a donut in the morning, instead of a piece of candy. I think since I grabbed 1 piece of candy or 1 donut I would it’s not so bad.

The stealing got way out of hand, and it really added up. Every time I stole I would stuff the wrappers behind my bed. I was really getting nervous about the candy wrappers, and I never found a good way to throw it all away since my mom was the one who took the trash out. It was terrible because the guilt reminded me everyday, so some days I would think about all day. I never told anyone ever until one day my fears accelerated, and I was nearly sweating. I could hardly take it because my parents just mentioned the idea of my sister and I switching rooms. This was a huge issue because that meant my had to move, and that's where my candy wrappers were stashed. I knew my parents would find them especially because my parents were the ones who were going to move the beds! I was very scared because I had never really got in big trouble, and I knew my mom was wondering where all the candy disappeared to. I never admitted that I took the candy. 

The month was now about March, and my parents were planning on switching my sisters room with min, and I was still very nervous. I knew I would be in big trouble if my parents found the candy, and I nearly forgot when I was invited to my friend Ian’s house. My parents were home because it was a Saturday, and that day I was picked up to go to a friends house. Then I was dropped back at my house after playing with my friend, but my parents were working on swapping my sisters furniture into my room, and putting my furniture in my sister's room. I got home when they were moving my sisters furniture first, but since my sisters room was right next to mine there was no way to get the candy wrappers out. I thought of putting all the candy wrappers down the vent, but I knew that was a stupid idea. I even thought of putting them in the closet, although I knew my parents would immediatetly open the closet doors.

I quickly ran to the other side of the house to find something else to do. My simple strategy was to act as normal as possibly could for the longest 45 minutes of my life up to that point. I played with some of my siblings until my parents called me, then I stopped in my tracks, and I was frozen. Then I was called again, this time in a more frustrated tone, and I knew they were upset. Then I was very afraid because I never got in huge trouble before that point. Then I walked into the room, and my parents looked very cross. I was very nervous to say something, but right as that thought crossed my mind my parents said “did you do this

I said “yes.

Then curiously, but still in a frusterated tone they said “how long have you been doing this?

I did not give them the truth, then they said “they said the candy has been missing for months”

I said “yes”

They said “this is not ok”,

Then I said “ok”

Then they told me what bmy punishment was they told me “you are getting five spanks”. I was very nervous because spanks from my father were much worse than my mother. I was given those spanks , and cried a little bit. I felt guilty for days, and was very sad for awhile.

I wished I never did that, although I think I learned my lesson, and sneak any candy ever again. I think I stuck to cereal for awhile  in the early mornings for breakfast. It was not smart because I felt I just dug a hole deeper and deeper for myself, because I never stopped sneaking until I got busted. I think I won’t ever steal candy again. Even after I was at 7 years old that it was not worth the guilt, shame, and stomach aches. Hopefully I never take my chances like that ever again. That is the lesson I learned, which I have now remembered for 6 years.

I felt very guilty at this time, and it was a lesson I learned that I rember for years.