Taking a Step Back: Perspectives of our Wonderful World | Teen Ink

Taking a Step Back: Perspectives of our Wonderful World

By 2west BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
2west BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Looking down at the world from above is breathtaking. The majority of people on earth experience and recognize the beauty of earth, but few look at it from above. It’s spectacular. In some ways, speechless. From the smallest cell to the largest mountain, such a complex feature of the universe. A special place. 

On the ground, we as people miss a lot and don’t get the whole picture of how spectacular earth is. On the ground we see the mud, its dirtiness. The pollution‒smoke from factories mixed with the exhaust of cars. The brown slush on the roads. Getting caught up in the pursuits of politics and all the issues we are all faced with. And with all the rush and hustle and bustle with the normal life of one in the 21st Century, few can sit back and admire the beautiful landscape set out before us. We just need to take a step back. Cruising in the air, one can take a moment to enjoy. 

The air as clear as crystal and as smooth as glassy water on a calm evening. The drone of the small four-cylinder engine revs on, and I bank the airplane into the turn, admiring the surface below me. 

Cruising over the countryside, just outside of Oconomowoc, fall colors dot the landscape. Below me, a farmer is harvesting round hay bales before tomorrow's rain ruins his crop. Cars slowly cruising down “16” going home after a long day's work. The trees crimson, marigold, and vibrant orange, nearly matching the setting sun. To the right, the sun glistens over the lakes of Oconomowoc, sparkling over the blue water. Out ahead towards the east, the concrete giants of Milwaukee stand tall in the distance, and lights of heavily developed Waukesha and beyond start to come into view. So much development out towards Lake Michigan and turning back west, I can see the wide expanse of Wisconsin countryside past Oconomowoc. Freedom. Heading back west, the setting sun creates a stunning backdrop. The sun blends behind the darkening clouds. A deep red starts near the horizon gradually turning into yellows and oranges, painted on a light blue canvas, reflecting off the aged white cowling of the airplane and water below. A world so large yet sometimes so seemingly small. So delicate and complex. What a special rock.