2021 Set Piece | Teen Ink

2021 Set Piece

My sister, the one I looked up to the most, was in the dining room crying, emotional, powerless. I sat there frozen, not knowing what to do. This was the first time I’ve ever seen her like this. She was hardly ever emotional and she always seemed so confident and faultless. I see my brother coming to comfort her but I just sit there, eyes wide. I should have done something to help her but I couldn't move. It was like seeing a vase fall and shatter. A vase, so beautiful, so carefully crafted and highly valued, suddenly broken and in pieces. You can try all you want, but it will be impossible to put it back together again. Because the damage was already done and it always will be. 

For this set piece I tried using metaphors to compare human emotion/stress to fragile objects. Metaphors are a figure of speech that compares two different things that have something in common. This set piece is about the time I saw my sister overworked from the stress of college. I mention the vase because vases are valued and meticulously crafted but it can still be broken very easily. What I like about my set piece is that I showed how my sister was usually very hardworking and diligent but cracked under the stress of overworking and how that experience will always be part of her.

Lydiaq ELITE said...
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

The universe must be a teenage girl. So much darkness, so many stars.
--me

That's so brief but so lovely