2021 Kindness Contest | Teen Ink

2021 Kindness Contest

By sofia-001 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
sofia-001 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

I was sitting in my favorite chair in my living room, scrolling aimlessly through my phone, searching for something that would at least keep me entertained for a little while. After all, I had to be stuck inside the house for 14 days. 

Just when I thought that COVID was over, I got quarantined again. I should be used to being stuck inside after having to quarantine for multiple months last spring when everyone was in lockdown, but these 14 days felt much worse. 

Because while I am stuck inside, my friends and peers are all still able to go to school and hang out with each other on the weekends. 

Just as I’m about to open up Netflix, my dog jumps up and runs to the door, barking and scratching as if someone is here. 

“That’s strange”, I think to myself as I get up from the chair and walk to the front door. “Who could be at our door when we are quarantined?”

Once I reach the door, I see one of our family friends wave and run out to her car, and all that’s left at the door is a giant box. I open the door and bring the box into the house, thinking that she had to leave something for my mom.
But when I open the box, I am beyond surprised at what I see. 

Snacks. Candy. Magazines. Books. Board games. There were things for each of my family members, making us all feel special and loved. 

I no longer felt alone and isolated while being quarantined. It instead made me realize how lucky I am to have people in my life that care about me. This one small act of kindness made me feel a lot of love.