Me | Teen Ink

Me

January 19, 2022
By Anonymous

People always have a hard time trying to understand how I personally work. At one point, I’m laughing and smiling with other people that I know. And then the next, I’m sitting alone, watching videos or listening to music on my phone. I’d say that my mom knows me the best. She always helps people try to interpret what I’m saying in case it’s not clear to them or I leave out information. She always knows what food to get me from any restaurant we go to. She always knew that I could do better with my own choices and way of life. I never really understood how I worked too. Every time, I have to question every choice I make because I always question, is it something they want me to do or what I want to do? I could never figure it out, but I have learned more about myself and I make people perceive me.

For how people could see me, I’m the kid that someone would describe as a “jack in the box.” When you see me, I look like I’m minding my own business. Cool, calm, and collected with nothing really interesting going on. Sitting in my own box, waiting for time to pass by me. You just look at me and wonder, when is he going to come out? But when I jump out of that box, POP!, you get a pleasant surprise. A guy who’s smart and witty has a great sense of humor and has an adorable quirkiness about him. If others try to put me back in, I’ll just pop right out again. I’m too afraid to come out on my own, but I’m always a joy to be around if someone is just willing to pull the crank.

Another object I’d use to describe myself, I would have to relate myself to a guitar. I’d use it mainly to describe my behavior around other people. You strum my strings until they get worn out. When I don’t sound right, I will try to change my tune. When I’m with other instruments, we play very well together. So many tunings to choose from, but only one I’ll keep going back to. As I grow old, my body’s replaced, and my sound changes to fit new tastes. There are hundreds of guitars like me in the world, but none with as unique of a sound as mine. No matter how many times I’m broken, I’ll still keep singing.

I’m an enigma, I’m a jack-in-the-box, and I’m a guitar. These are things I’d use to describe me and how others would describe me. I’m fun to be around and quirky, but I can also be quiet and distant. But all these things just make up one person… me.