Essay Contest: Basketball Camp Experience | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Basketball Camp Experience

September 30, 2022
By šaljivac SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
šaljivac SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The music is blaring and the woman is saying all of the guys and girls names, one by one they’re running out. They're a line of us helping out with the camp on two sides making a little tunnel sticking our hands out and high-fiving them as they run past. 


The game starts and we are all watching from the bleachers except for one or two people helping pass the basketball for the offense. One of the people scores and the crowd goes wild. The smile on their face really shows how much it means to them to score and hear people cheering for them. 


Fast forward, I believe everyone or everyone except one person scored which is pretty incredible and was a great thing to be a part of. It really was a great moment and event to be involved in. I felt like I really made a difference even if it was just a little smile I gave them. This special needs basketball camp was a great experience to be helping with. 


All the people I got to meet and interact with show them some basketball stuff while still having fun and not being serious like other camps we did. That was why I will remember this memory as one that sticks in my mind. Something that was so short, but realistically will last a lifetime. 


The day was bright green and filled with great times and triumphs. All in all that day was a great day and will last a lifetime.


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.