Essay Contest: Difference | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Difference

October 3, 2022
By 1ketterhagen BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1ketterhagen BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was in 8th grade when I helped my middle school out. The superintendent pulled out of class one day, I thought I was in trouble, but I wasn’t. One of my friends and I got asked to design a science classroom because the school was very old and needed to be redone. The administration wanted to renovate the school. I thought this was a good idea because the school was very old and rundown. I thought it was a good thing to do because im am very artistic and l like doing things when I get to draw. My friend and I spent weeks researching the best science class. 


Our idea was that it would be a normal classroom but in the back, there would be a lab table connected to the wall with cabinets and drawers under them so they can hold supplies and other things for experiments. There would also be sinks on one side of the tables to help clean up and also use water if needed in your lab. On the other side, there would be computers hanging on the wall so you could research what you were doing when you were doing an experiment.


 We showed our superintendent and she said, “That was the same exact idea we had, but we didn't know how to lay it out.” I thought this was really cool because we didn't even talk to them about what we were doing. They also didn't tell us anything about how they would do the science class.  


During one of the pep rallies that was showing the plans for the renovated school, we had to go up and speak in front of the school and many more people. By the end of this, they built our idea. Now the school can further their studies in science.  


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference easy competition.