Essay Contest: Never Judge A Book By Its Cover | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Never Judge A Book By Its Cover

October 3, 2022
By Anonymous

Throughout 11 years of Martial Arts, there were thousands of students who I’d seen come and go along 3 different dojos. However, there was a single student in my class that had always caught my eye. Caleigh. Standing at 4’11, and often sitting in the way back corner of the class, Caleigh was “different” compared to everyone else. Though a class of 20 was filled with ages from 6, to their 60s, with body shapes, and colors of all kinds, Caleigh stood out. All because she had gone through heavy amounts of chemotherapy, leaving her head, eyebrows, and complete body without any hair. Her silence and stern look on her face made her the center of no attention, creating it difficult for her to find partners and help during practice when she needed it. 


Nonetheless, her attitude towards Martial Arts brought me towards her, as she always was on top of everything she was learning. Punches, kicks, defense mechanisms, forms. She knew it all. As the months and months went by of seeing her improve her skills, I slowly but surely progressed my way into a friendship with her, and that stern look on her face began lighting up with small smiles and giggles that cleared any sort of tension in the room. By cracking jokes and asking her, “what do you like to do?”, she always responded with, “martial arts.” We brought the perfect combination of friendship and partnership into the room. 


Starting from a girl who used to sit in the back of the class, we progressed all the way up to having her help teach a class. Bringing her up for showcases and form lessons, I felt like I changed something. Something in her, and something in me. At 14, for the first time, I had actually felt proud. Proud of the influence and positive change I created for both of us. Strengthening the message of “never judge a book by its cover.” 


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.