Essay Contest: Just Doing My Job | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Just Doing My Job

October 3, 2022
By kiwi234 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
kiwi234 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Last summer I was working at Walgreens Pharmacy when an old man came in with his doctor's visit summary saying,  “I just got these prescriptions, is there any way you can tell me the price before I get them because if they are too high I’m just going to go to the VA.''

When I ran the prescriptions through, it came up with the irritating red of a reject. I took a look and I needed updated insurance. I called his name and asked for his medicare card. 

He started digging through his leather wallet and pulled out the card. I thanked him and went back to work. When I went through it ended up being no charge for his three prescriptions. 

When I told him the price, he was so happy and asked for my name and was very grateful. I didn’t think I did much because it was his insurance and I was the middle man, but he made me feel like I did something good.

Later on, that night, when I was working at the counter again, a guy came in and I asked for his last name and other information to get his prescription. Once I verified it was him I said,  “Were you aware of the high copay of $70.00?”

This was not the highest I have seen, but it was still high for having insurance applied. He replied saying he was aware. I asked if he had ever tried anything else and he just said that nothing brought it lower. 

I quickly put in a GoodRx on his profile and applied it to his prescription. I told him that the price with the GoodRx was better and it now costs $40.00. He was super surprised and happy because it didn't even occur to him that the price could go lower.

That day I just did my job, but the customers that came in made me feel like I had done so much more.


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.