Essay Contest: In Their Eyes | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: In Their Eyes

By kiwi234 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
kiwi234 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

During my lacrosse season along with practices for high school, we help with the younger kids program. A few girls go to every one of their practices to just help with drills and fundamentals because the coaches are usually just parents that want to help out their kids. 

The ones that I remember most are the ones where they were still inside at the beginning of the year. It was at an indoor soccer field and it was always very cold. My sister was on one of the teams so I would help coach her practice then I would help the girls younger than her. I walked in and I was just coming off my offseason so I felt kinda unprepared at the time. We started with warmups and some cradling, and I soon learned that these kids didn't really care that I hadn't played in like 6 months, they really just wanted to play and whoever was there to help would take it. In their eyes, I was someone with a lot more experience that could teach them and help them get better. Some girls more than others would be into it and some were not but that was like it was with any team. It was crazy how much these girls wanted to learn and get better and just being alongside them for the journey and helping them here and there felt awesome. Even though the place was cold and you would have to wake up at 7:00 on a Sunday morning, they made it all worth it.

I learned two things from this experience, it didn't matter if I hadn’t picked up a stick in even a year or two or maybe even three, to these girls I was just a stair to help them reach their goals and they would gladly take the help. I also learned that helping others is not a one-way street, it feels good for both parties involved.

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.