New Year School Change | Teen Ink

New Year School Change

By TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas
TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

This year, my brothers and I went to the same school, and I was not in the slightest prepared.

At Home

My brothers are identical twins and they are my only siblings. I am a year older than my brothers, but we are always mistaken as triplets when we walk together because of our build. We are very close, but somehow always seem to have a reason to fight and bicker, but we never fight seriously. It’s always a joke, a harmless excuse for us to actually talk together. We don’t have anything in common, and I mostly hang out in my room away from them because they are always loud, noisy, and messy. I am very organized and don’t like a messy workspace with my hobbies. I love to draw, write, read, paint, and play the piano. My brothers love to complete levels on video games and hang out with their friends and they always do that together. Although we never really do anything together, we are always connected somehow and love each other to bits.

New School Year Change

My brothers would be going to a whole new building for school. I had a great year previously, being known as the weird nerdy girl but with a cute sense of humor. I had a good reputation and had a lot of friends, and that’s all I needed. Or at least, all I thought I needed. 

When the school year started, I was worried for my brothers and how they would adjust to the new school. After the first day, they already seemed to have a lot of friends. Even more than I had at the moment. They were adjusting better than I was, and had only been here for a day! I was a little disturbed. Will they be okay becoming popular kids or will they get hurt? I worried for them, but they seemed fine. Huh, I thought, Maybe they will be okay. A couple of days later, younger students came up to me and started asking, “Are you (brother 1) and (brother 2)’s sister?”

“Yeah!” I would say and smile, “You know them?”

“Yeah,” they would trail on and then look at me in disgust.

This was bad. My reputation started going downhill from there. I was a disappointment compared to my brothers, the cool kids. I started to go invisible. I’d wave to my brothers in the hallways, they’d look at me, and then went back to talking to their friends. It got worse. THey soon wouldn’t even acknowledge me when I said their names in the hallways. Depressing? Yes. It was bad enough that I had no classes with my friends, my own brothers wouldn’t even pay attention to me. It stayed like this for a couple more weeks until (brother 1) actually started paying attention to me. They then introduced me to their friends and I felt like I was accepted again as a sister. 

Over time, (brother 2) started to accept me as well. I wasn’t invisible anymore. We all got along together, but brothers are still always pesky (that never changes) and I am stern with them. That’s just how siblings are. They still haven’t fully adjusted to going to school with me, and I get that they can have their own little worlds in school, but I exist in their world somewhere, somehow, and I am grateful for that.

Thank you for letting me write this piece, and appreciate your siblings guys <3 Someday you won't have them, and they might grow up entirely, and without you. So please keep in touch with your siblings and love them to bits!