My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By everdegan15 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
everdegan15 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

In the English dictionary, Emma means “whole” or “universal” and they are not wrong. I have so many friends named Emma and even a cousin whose name is Emma Verdegan just like mine.

In the Bible Emma means “my God has answered”. For this is the reason I enjoy my name. Because my God has answered me and I believe he has. I take pride in my religion and I have a large passion for my connection with God. I am always talking to him about my life.

My parents wanted to have kids when they were young and so they did. They didn’t spend much time planning or thinking about a name. My mom says that she always thought Emma was a good name for a girl. But I disagree. 

My sister's name is Tess. Tess is such a pretty name and unique compared to mine. But they always say no child is like its siblings. So maybe her having a unique name is for a reason?

If I was a boy I was going to be named after my Great Grandpa who was my mom's biggest role model in life. His name was bazil. He was always there and around for her. Growing up my mom never really had a connection with her dad. He had no trust in her but she had never broken his trust in the first place. Whenever she was around him she felt safe and almost like all of her stress from walking around on eggshells by her dad was stopped. She felt comforted by him which is why she wanted to name me Bazil. 

My middle name is Marie. Another very basic one. But Marie was my grandmother's first name and she had a huge impact on my life and my parent's life. She was a role model and all the ways and my parents wanted me to be one too. They wanted me to be like her because she was so important to so many people. She was that person that everyone knew when she walked into a room. She made everyone smile with her massive amount of positivity. And this is the message my mom wanted me to have growing up. 

My name almost resembles something sweet like honey. When I say Emma it’s fast and rolls off the tongue quickly but has more than just a “quick” meaning. Emma seems like such a pretty and clean almost elegant name. Like the smell of freshly washed laundry or the smell of a bakery. I feel like I am a sweet person…I hope. I always want to help people and always want to make a positive impact which is why I tell myself I am sweet and I remind myself of a bakery. When people walk into a bakery they are refreshed with the sweet warm smell. I am warm and sweet and someone all my friends can go to when they need warmth. 

I never really thought about what my name meant or even if it had any meaning behind it and I thought it was cool to answer all of my questions.