Missed Tackle | Teen Ink

Missed Tackle

By Trevon33 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Trevon33 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Never say you can't."

It was like the second quarter and we had the ball. It’s 3rd down and 15 and we had chosen to run the ball and we ended up not getting the first down. So then the coach calls out.

“Punt.” “Punt.” “Punt.”

I go run out there because I'm on the punt team.

I say “ it’s my time to shine.”  

Coach told me to “ get down there.”

I responded “ yes coach.” 

Before the play even starts I’m sitting there talking to myself saying “ I can do this and get down there and make a play”

Now we are getting ready to punt the ball. Then right when the ball snaps I’m running full speed down there to go make a play. While i'm running i say to myself “ once I see him touch the ball I’m gonna hit him”

So I ended up hitting him hard but since I didn’t wrap him up I didn’t end up making the tackle.After the play was done coach calls me me over to him and says “ good hit but you gotta wrap up that would have been a big one” 

I replied “ yes coach.”

I say to myself “ Damn I should have made the tackle”

The other coaches were telling me to break down and wrap up just helping me out so I can be better at the sport. 

Basically what I learned is I need to break down and wrap up.That also I need to finish the play after I hit him or do something good at the moment for the team. Another thing I learned is don’t think too much about what’s going on in the play and just do my job and make a play.

something about this piece was it made me wanna do better in football and become a better player in general. something about me is that i really love football and it's just my peace from all the stuff i can have going on . It's just really my passion like i always wanna get better at football.