Why didn't I Obey? | Teen Ink

Why didn't I Obey?

By juliiianaaa__ BRONZE, Sacramento, California
juliiianaaa__ BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"A smile is the best makeup a girl could wear." - Marilyn Monroe

Why didn’t I Obey?

I wanted to go on a road trip for my birthday, especially to Reno. Since my birthday is in December I wanted to go somewhere where there was snow. I planned on inviting my friends and my mom's friends since we’re not close to  family. We arrived at the cabin we had rented and I was in a very bad mood because I was hangry. 

“Where’s the food? I'm hungry!” I whined 

“You need to cut the attitude, little girl!” My mom replied. She started placing the groceries in the fridge and handed me cut up watermelon because she didn’t want me being grumpy the whole day and wanted me to snack on something until the food was ready.

“Uh oh! Have you guys seen all the snow outside?”, I asked.

Damn! It looks pretty bad!”, my friend replied 

We were all bored out of our minds because a day has already passed that we were stuck indoors. Roads were closed and snow was piled up against the glass doors. My friends and I got tired of being inside so we decided to head out. As soon as we open the door the snow just gushes and slides in the house and next thing you know we’re standing in a pile of snow.

“C’mon Juliana, you think you can drive us up that mountain to go sledding!?” my friend asked with excitement.

“Sure, but my driving isn’t the best,” I responded.

Of course, me not thinking and being rebellious at the same time, I stole the keys without anyone knowing and started the car. I already had a gut feeling that something was going to happen. As soon as I stepped on the gas we made it safely out the driveway. 

“Oh no, we’re not moving!” I shouted in panic. 

“Uh oh you're in trouble!” said my friend.

I quickly got out of the car to see what had happened and my tires were covered in snow and stuck with thick logs. My adrenaline kicked in because of the trouble I knew I was going to get in. My friends ran inside the cabin to get the adult’s help. “ Help! Help! The car is stuck!” my friend shouted. They run faster than a cheetah outside and I was just standing there with guilt not knowing what to do. But I did regret my actions so much that day. I did have a job and was working many hours so I did have to pay for new tires and new rims because they were all scratched up and damaged. And realized I went broke. 

My punishment was to pay for everything I damaged and trust me it was a lot of money. “There goes all my savings.” I sighed. But I learned there's consequences in actions you take. So ever since I just learned to simply obey and use common sense. I’m really glad that I didn’t damage the car a lot more than I already did, not only because I would've had to pay a lot more but also because it was a really nice car that my parents worked hard for.

This article explains a dumb decision I decided to do only to give what my friends asked for but went downhill just for not obeying.