My Name, Alexander | Teen Ink

My Name, Alexander

October 11, 2022
By 4kruschk BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4kruschk BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My name, Alexander, is the sharp metal and rust of a blade. It's a blood stained battlefield filled with fierce, courageous men. It is strong and jagged while simultaneously being friendly and comforting, like a campfire. 


It is also as common as the next employee in a corporate office. Alexander is criminally plain.


In America, it is generic and unoriginal. Labeled the fourth most popular name in 2009. There isn’t a classroom in the world that doesn’t have at least one person with the nickname Alex. Calling Alex to a group of people is like throwing bread on the ground and only expecting one bird to show up, as opposed to the entire flock.


The backstory of my name is nothing meaningful. It comes from my parents' lack of agreement. They had interesting names in mind, but they could not agree, so they settled on an uninspired middle ground name. Yet, Alexander carries a powerful background and a legacy of great people.


When people think of the name Alexander, it is likened to those of legend. Alexander Graham Bell, praised for his genius inventions. Alexander Hamilton, a revolutionary leader and a founding father of America. Alexander the Great, who conquered countries and ascended to the throne of Macedonia. In Greek, it means "defender of man." It was a fierce name given to people who were courageous, powerful, and intelligent.


This is why I don’t like my name. I am unqualified. 


I do not have the brawn, might, or genius of the people who came before with this name. It is not who I am. I am an average person who is more brain than brawn with little capability to be more than that. 


I believe a name like Samuel would be a better fit for me. While still common, I hear it less often. It bears much less significant predecessors. Less to be compared to. Samuel is the color orange or blue, a peaceful color, like a sunrise by the ocean. The serenity of the ocean instead of the vigor of soldiers. A name that I am qualified to have.