The Change | Teen Ink

The Change

By GlenIsSleeping BRONZE, Cupertino, California
GlenIsSleeping BRONZE, Cupertino, California

The boy comes home from his long walk from school, he is tired, exhausted, and drained. His girlfriend broke up with him in front of the whole school, he was so embarrassed he didn't want anyone to see his face. As he makes his way towards his room he sees his mom is still not home. He pulls out his homework but he can't concentrate. He then lays down on the bed and then this feeling like 10,000 people are laughing at you. A tear falls but the boy realizes that it's a tear of joy and not sadness. That's when he decides to make that change he wanted to do for a long time already.

2 months later, you can hear a loud sound of metal hitting the mat and someone grunting. The boy opens his eyes and all his friends say “That was a nice lift.”, the boy looks at the black chopped up mat where he has spent the 2 months not crying in bed but doing more productive things, 7th grade just ended so he didn’t spend the day playing games he spent them, working on himself, challenging his mind and body every time he went to his now most favorite spot to hang out, the gym. He had realized what most haven't: if something bad happens to you, then don’t fear to fail again, make failing a learning experience cause, in the end you will win.

This story is based on me in 7th grade, right now I am in 8th grade. For my set piece project I decided I wanted to make a poem about when my first girlfriend in 7th grade broke up with me, and I know I had game when I was in 7th grade. This story I wrote has only 2 chapters in it. The feeling of betrayal and the realization, and also in the story “the boy” is me. I hope you enjoy it!