What The United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What The United States Flag Stands For

By kiwi234 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
kiwi234 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Everything on the flag has meaning, there are thirteen stripes for the original thirteen colonies and the fifty stars represent all fifty states America proudly holds. The red represents hardiness and valor, the white represents innocence and purity, and lastly, the blue represents vigilance, perseverance, and justice. But, for everyone, it means something different. 

The red symbolizes the country's hardiness and valor. Hardiness is defined as the ability to endure difficult conditions. I see myself upholding the red in the flag as I am still fighting strong in school after a bad few years during covid. 

To me, the red represents my ability to strive to be the best.

The white illustrates the purity and innocence the country carries. Innocence is harder and harder to preserve as time goes on and people get older but it is still our job to try. The white of the flag brings me back to my time as a kid when I would make snow forts with my siblings in the winter, or play football in the fall with my dad and brothers. 

White represents all the times I forget about all my worries and just let loose.

The blue depicts the vigilance, perseverance, and justice the country maintains. Vigilance is the act of keeping careful and watching out for danger or difficulties. Blue is shown in my life when I spend hours playing catch on the wall preparing for a lacrosse game. I am watching out for the dangers of failing. Blue is standing up for your friends and family in times when it is hard to.

The act of blue may be a little difficult but, it in the end makes us feel so much safer.

The flag of the United States of America means so much to the country as a whole and what we fought and went through so it can be standing tall and strong today. But, what does it mean to you, and every other individual? Sometimes it is nice to reflect on what something means to oneself, so you can help others or help yourself become better.