What the United States Flag Stands for | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands for

November 8, 2022
By Lily_Rad BRONZE, Hartford, Wisconsin
Lily_Rad BRONZE, Hartford, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My family on my dad’s side is all Serbian. So, we call our grandma Radma, and our grandpa Radpa. This will also include our great-grandma who is either Druga Buba or Buba. And our great-grandpa who is either Druga Deda or Deda. My Radpa’s dad, Druga Deda, fought for the Chetniks in Serbia against the Ustashi. My Radma’s dad, Deda, fought in the U.S Navy on 4 different destroyers. One of the ships, USS Twiggs, was sunk by a torpedo and a Kamikaze attack on June 16, 1945. Unfortunately, he lost his shipmates, but he survived. My great uncle Dan fought in the Vietnam war in the Navy. The connection I feel about the Flag representing Freedom is strong and I want it to keep representing that. The Flag stood for Freedom for my Radpa’s parents when the communists took over Serbia. The People in our family history fought for Freedom from tyranny. The kind that is sadly being pushed on the world right now, including in our country. Therefore, the United States Flag stands for the home of the Free, because of the Brave.


The author's comments:

When the question about the representation of the American flag, I knew I wanted to interpret my family into the answer. Members of my family fought for their country of Serbian and their country of the US. I also thought that it would be a nice touch to be able to connect to freedom representing the flag.