Math's Mindset | Teen Ink

Math's Mindset

December 14, 2022
By prinon-08- BRONZE, North Hollywood, California
prinon-08- BRONZE, North Hollywood, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was little, I valued grades a lot, like my parents do. I had more of a fixed mindset. I still have this mindset, but it has lessened, and I feel like I can actually stop the effects of this fixed mindset. Anyways, because of this thing with grades, I was able to do well in math until after 6th grade. This was mainly because I started to learn pre-algebra online during the pandemic as a 7th grader, and it was frustrating, especially because of my mindset, which involved just giving up if things got hard. Because of this, I could not understand the material, but I lived, because my teacher didn’t assign homework, and if they did, it was usually the notes that we took in class. However, in 8th grade, when school opened up, I was in algebra. I saw that I could not do anything in the class, mostly because I did not understand most of the material from pre-algebra. What was worse was that my teacher actually assigned homework, which means that we had to apply what we learned in class onto a paper and try to solve that ourselves.experienced mood swings, hopelessness, and cried because of a test. I realized that the grade thing should be ditched for learning. My parents cared about good grades, which came into conflict with this idea of learning. I was a puppet to grades and learning at the same time essentially. But, at the end of the semester, I got a C, and my mom got one of our friends to help me. As I do better in algebra, I realize that I should not allow my life to be decided by other people. I still struggle with algebra a little bit, but I also seem to be able to get concepts on my own without too much help.


The author's comments:

This piece is about my journey with math, and the obstacles in that journey.